Botox Dilution? What Should a Doctor Use? (photo)

I'm looking for a new Botox doctor and it was recommended to me that when researching places I should ask what dilution they use. It seems a fair question since the recent place I went to seems to be using a weak product that barely lasts on me (I had to go back for more and it still was weak). But I am confused by what dilution I should want them to use. What should I ask for to ensure they use a decent amount?

A unit of botox is not a unit of measurement but a unit of efficacy

+1

A unit of botox is not a unit of measurement but a unit of efficacy.  The standard recommended dilution is 2.5 cc of saline  per 100 unit vial.  This will yield 4 unit of botox per.1cc

Units, not Dilution, is the important factor in Botox treatment

+1

This is quite commonly asked. Dilution does not make a significant difference in the effectiveness of Botox treatment as long as the number of units is the same per area. However, if the dilution is significant, the volume of product would have to be so much greater to deliver the same number of units that there could be a diffusion problem of the fluid moving into unwanted areas. Whereas most doctors dilute between one to 2.5 ccs of saline in one bottle of 100 units of Botox, in the past some did 5 and even I had heard, 10 ccs of saline. Such large volumes of diluent would decrease the concentration of Botox per area so much that the duration of effectiveness did decrease.

I personally, like the lower volume of saline so I don't have to cause as big a temporary lump of fluid in my NYC patients that want Botox, as they are rushing to their next appointment and don't want to look "affected" and I think there is less chance of unwanted side effects by not making bigger volumes of saline move to nearby areas that I don't want to be affected.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox preparation

+1

Botox reconstitution and preparation varies amongst physicians, but what's important is the number of units injected.  E.g. we use 1:1 dilution so 1cc saline is used for 100 units Botox vial.  Seek an experienced Botox injector, e.g. a dermatologist or facial surgeon, for optimal results. 

Anatoli Freiman, MD, FRCPC, Toronto Dermatology Centre

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

BOTOX units vs dilution

+1

The effect of Botox is dependent on the number of units used , not the dilution .There is an average number of units used in different areas of the face. However, people vary in the number of units needed to achieve the best result.

Make sure your injecting physician is a reputable board-certified Dermatologist, Plastic surgeon,Ophthalmologist, or Facial plastic surgeon. Most physicians offer a "touch-up" for a nominal fee , or @ no charge in 1-3 weeks after the procedure.  

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Dilution of Botox

+1

Botox dilution varies between physicians, but the results are far more dependent on physician training and expertise that the dilution factor. Seek a highly qualified professional such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to get the best results and utmost safety. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox reconstitution

+1

As long as you are consulting with a reputable office and provider that is well-trained and experienced, asking to be educated on their policy regarding reconstitution should provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice. As you know, physicians choose different rates of reconstitution, and maybe you aren't getting enough units injected to your specific problem areas.

Sam Naficy, MD

Dilution has no effect

+1

I believe that the effect of Botox is directly related to the number of units placed and the precision of placement. Dilution has no effect.

Dan L. Bennett, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Botox Dilution? What Should a Doctor Use?

+1

The issue of dilution is less important than the amount of units injected. Physicians generally gauge their treatments based on units, and the dilution stratedgy tends to be one of personal preference, training and experience. To this end, the company that makes Botox, Allergan, has generally done an excellent job in making sure practioners are up to speed on techniques that achieve the best outcomes. Good luck.

Farhan Taghizadeh, MD
Albuquerque Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox dilution

+1

Think in terms of units of Botox rather than the dilution.  Different physicians have different preferences for the way they dilute their Botox, but the same number of units is still required for a good result in any given area. 

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox dilution and effective treatment

+1

I believe it is much more important to know the number of units of Botox you are being treated with rather than the “dilution” being used or having treatment “by the area”. That way you are getting exactly what you are paying for. Various dilutions of Botox can be used for different areas of the face as well as simply physician preference. The issue is not that the Botox you were injected with was too weak but that you were likely to not have received enough Botox to be effective.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon