Can I Get Botox While on Dialysis?

i want to get botox but i am a dialysis patient and i am worried that i will waste my money because it might dialize out.

Botox and dialysis

+2

Botox for facial rhytids only and bruising is more common because of mild coagulopathies Assoc with dialysis

Botox while on Dialysis?

+1

Hi Daisy.  We do not know of any problems associated with getting Botox while on dialysis.  

With any cosmetic treatment, we defer to the physician in charge of the more pressing health concern (dialysis) before providing the procedure.  If he/she cleared you, then we would be fine proceeding.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox While on Dialysis

+1

Most likely but please check with the nephrologist FIRST! I have found no contraindication in the medical literature concerning this issue. 

Botox and dialysis

+1

While the botox should not dialyze "out," I would touch base with your nephrologist first before considering it.

Botox should be ok while on dialysis

+1

Your concerns about dialyzing out should not keep you from having Botox. Generally and practically speaking the amount of botulinum toxin that reaches your systemic circulation should be minimal as its primary mode of action is locally.

Botox and dialysis

+1

Check with your nephrologist but Botox should not present a problem unless you are taking aminoglycoside medication (which I doubt as that can be very bad for the kidney).

Ronald Shelton, MD

Dialysis and botox

+1

Botox works where it is injected localy. You should not have any problems with getting the neurotoxin while undergoing dialysis. Bruising may be an issue however, but should resolve with time.

Purvisha Patel, MD
Germantown Dermatologist

Should be ok but ask your nephrologist.

+1

Hi Daisy

I have several patients who get cosmetic BOTOX who are on dialysis.  The BOTOX is locally absorbed and that process is not subject to dialysis.  However, you kidney doctor is the ultimately responsible for your care.  As an injector, I would want to know that your nephrologist had no concerns.  WIth that approval, I would not have reservations treating you for cosmetic indications.

Botox and Kidney Dialysis Treatments

+1

Regarding: "Can I Get Botox While on Dialysis?
i want to get botox but i am a dialysis patient and i am worried that i will waste my money because it might dialize out
."

There is no reason why chronic kidney failure, by itself and without other neuromuscular disorders, would preclude you from having Botox treatments.

The only precaution I would suggest is the timing. Renal failure is associated with blood thinning and bruising. I would time the Botox treatment after dialysis treatments.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Botox while on dialysis

+1

It is probably ok to have Botox while on dialysis. Botox acts locally in the muscle and is not distributed. I would make sure that you ask your nephrologist if it is ok with him.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon