Can botox be dangerous if too close underneath eye?

I received botox injections today and am concerned that the botox migrated underneath my eye (dark circle area). I noticed a bump there shortly after my injection. I pressed the bump and heard and felt a little squish. How could this affect my eye? I am very worried.

+1

When performed by an experienced injector, applying Botox underneath the eye is safe. If it's a concern to you, I suggest seeing your medical provider.

Appropriate patient selection when injecting Botox underneath the eye

+1

When performed by an experienced physician, Botox injections under the eyes is very safe. Perhaps the most significant possible complication is the risk of incomplete eye closure in patients with poor orbicularis muscle tone prior to the injection. Your physician likely assessed you for this prior to injection, and therefore determined you to be a safe candidate. You are very unlikely to have caused any harm by pressing under your eyes.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox under the eye

+1

Botox can be injected safely under the eye when done by a trained and experienced physician. The key is patient selection. In fact, relaxing the muscle that encircles the eye can open up the eyes, maiking them look larger. A potential problem is dry eye, which can result when someone who has loose, lax skin under the eye cannot close the eye completely after receiving treatment. When in doubt, a "snap" test (gently pulling the lower eyelid skin downward and then releasing) can be done just prior to injection to make sure that skin snaps back into place quickly.

The little squish you experienced was the Botox spreading to nearby tissue and no reason for concern.

Vivian Bucay, MD, FAAD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Is Botox safe right under eye?

+1

I inject Botox in the lower lid as a common practice. It should not affect your eye at all.The doctor probably thought that it would open you eye up a bit. Do not worry.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

There's no problem

+1

botox can be injected very close to the eye...the squish you heard/saw was the fluid the botox was dissolved in moving into the surrounding skin...rest assured...seems like nothing is amiss...

Ken Landow, MD

​Botulinum toxin injection close to the eye

+1

Botulinum toxin injections around the eye target the orbicularis oculi muscle which encircles the eye area including the lower eyelid area. The typical injection points are to the side of the eyes to target this muscle. Occasionally a subset of patients get an improvement if a very small amount is injected in the lower eyelid, therefore placement in this area is safe but should be done by a skilled injector. On the other hand, the botox does not migrate visibly from the injected site and I wonder if what you may be seeing is either swelling or a small bruise from the injection, both ok and safe after injection. Hope all is well!

Rachel Pritzker, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon