Can Botox Be Damaged by Massage?

i received botox in my forehead about 5 days ago for the very first time. today i was getting a manicure, and the manicurist took it upon herself to give me a quick massage - including my forehead. strange and annoying . . . now i'm paranoid that she could have screwed up my botox. is there any risk? will it lessen the effectiveness?

Botox and massage after 5 days

+1

A forehead massage 5 days after receiving Botox injections would have no effect on the effectiveness of your treatment.

Toronto Dermatologist

Botox and massage

+1

Five days is rather late for a massage to cause botox to migrate or dislodge.   However, its not impossible.  I would avoid vigorous massages in any area that has had botox teatment for at least the first couple of weeks.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Massaging areas that have been injected with Botulinum toxin (Dysport and Botox)

+1

Massage 5 days after the injections should not have an effect on the distribution of the botulinum toxin results. This is only of concern in the immediate post-injection period.

BOTOX® is mostly taken up or washed away in the first hour or two after treatment

+1

BOTOX® [and other fomulations of BTX-A, for example Dysport®] are mostly absorbed by nerve ending on the treated tissues [muscles or sweat glands] within the first hour or two after treatment. Just about all of the BOTOX® that is not taken up during that time is washed away by the natural circulation in the treated area.

BOTTOM LINE: when I get treated with BOTOX®, I am careful not to rub the treated area for ONE HOUR after treatment, so that I do not move the BOTOX® out of the treated area, or accidentally move it INTO some place were I do not want it [for example, moving it down out of my lower forehead into the muscle that lifts my upper eyelid].

That is the same advice I have been giving my patients for the past ten years [about 11,500 treatment sessions], and it has worked out well -- "Leave it alone for the first hour, and after that there are no restrictions at all. This evening you will be completely kissable!"

Kevin C. Smith, MD
Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon

BOTOX can’t be damaged by massage

+1

BOTOX can’t be damaged by massage. I do advise that you don’t massage or manipulate your face for many hours. If the BOTOX is very dilute (meaning it is mixed with a lot of water), it is possible it could migrate. But 5 days later, the BOTOX has been absorbed. So, any issues you see are probably just a result of the treatment.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

5 days post Botox

+1

Five days after Botox injection you need not be concerned about the effect of the facial massage.  The day you have you Botox done no massaging of the area should be done including facials and microdermabrasion.

Lisa Kates, MD
Annapolis Dermatologist

Will Botox be Affected by Facial Massage?

+1

Hi 98104.  The after care instructions we give for Botox injections to not go past the first day, so anything that happens on the 5th day after Botox injections should not affect your results.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox spread after injection.

+1

When we inject Botox into the tissue it has an area of diffusion from the injected site of about 2cm during the first few hours after injection. Hence, we instruct our patients not to massage the area where injections have been placed. After five days you should have nothing to worry about as all the Botox has been taken up in the nerve endings and is no longer available to spread.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Ruin Botox by facial massage 5 days after treatment? Unlikely.

+1

Seattle,

Do not fret. I'm sure your Botox treatment will not be messed up by a facial massage given 5 days after your injections. In fact, that sounds like a nice side perk to your manicure! Remember that Botox takes about 2 weeks to fully kick in, so any increasing heaviness or sensation you might notice after the massage is really more likely to be just from the original Botox itself getting more active, than from a problem related to the massage.

That said, do not hesitate to call your injecting physician and ask any questions any time you are concerned. I know I certainly would not mind the opportunity to put a patient's mind at ease.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Botox and Massage

+1

No, I think you will be fine...I have my patients who receive Botox, exercise the muscles I treat (the glabellar or "11" lines, the forehead, the crow's feet,etc.) fairly aggressively for the first 2 hours after the treatment. It is this initial couple of hours that the neurotoxin is incorporated into the nerve and moving the muscle maximizes the absorbance. I think 5 days after your injection, the dye has been cast.

Good luck!

Dr. C

johnconnorsmd.com

John Philip Connors III, MD