Botox for Crow's Feet and Smoker's Lines?

I am 31 years old and sadly smoked for about 13 years. During the last year or two I have started to see more and more of the crow's feet and "smoker's line" around my eyes going down to my cheekbone, especially when I smile. Will Botox typically correct all of these lines?

Botox is great but be careful

+2

Botox is the treatment of choice for wrinkles around the eyes. Unfortunately, the wrinkles around the lips is slightly more difficult.

Botox for upper lip wrinkles can but done but is very delicate;too much and you'll have problems closing your lips (for several weeks), too little and there won't be an noticable result. Most plastic surgeons prefer to fill these depressions with dermal fillers such as Restylane, Perlane, or Juvederm.

First, stop smoking. Then see your surgeon for fillers and Botox.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Yes and no

+2

Dear Too Young,
The first signs of aging occur around the eyes, usually in the form of crow's feet, and usually around the age of 30. So you may not be too young. Smoking has probably advanced your aging process though. At any rate, the crow's feet should respond to Botox. The smile lines are more difficult to treat, at least with Botox. You may need some filler or resurfacing treatments to address these. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Botox Cosmetic is great for crow's feet

+2

Botox Cosmetic is great for crow's feet. You have to be careful about the cheek lines. Too much Botox in this area can cause you to loose the ability to smile or eat properly until the Botox wears off. Additionally, if your wrinkles are static (present at rest) then the Botox will be minimally effective. Botox works best for dynamic lines (lines that appear when you move). Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Reversible wrinkles are caused by skin creasing with muscle action

+2

It is difficult to predict how effective Botox will be on your specific wrinkles. Although Botox is very good for early reversible wrinkles caused by muscle action, at some point in time the wrinkles become irreversible.

Let me give an overly simplified example. IF you walk all day in your new pants, you will create wrinkles. At the end of the day when you hang them up, the next day many of the finer wrinkles were disappear. However, the deeper wrinkles or folds will be softened but not completely gone.

The same goes with your face. After the Botox takes effect, many of the wrinkles will disappear while some will soften. That's when other treatment options are advisable. These include a variety of skin tightening options to correct inelastic skin or skin fillers to replace lost volume.

Botox is great for crow's feet and wrinkles

+1
Botox is great for the areas of wrinkles known as Crow's feet.  The deep wrinkles that go down your cheekbone, however, are not great with Botox.  You can interfere with the facial nerve and look like you have a palsy it you try to inject too far down near the cheekbone.  This is why an experienced injector is very important.

Michele S. Green, MD

Botox, Dysport, Wrinkle Treatment, Beverly Hills Botox Dysport, Los Angeles Botox Dysport

+1

I have used Botox for over 20 years.  You can use Botox or Dysport to soften the lines and wrinkles of the Forehead, around the eyes or lips.  If you want to treat lines over the cheek area, use it sparingly along those lines so you don't over-weaken the muscles that animate the center of the face.  With patience, I believe that you could indeed soften these unwanted lines and wrinkles.

Botox for Crow's Feet and Smoker's Lines

+1

Hi TYTLO,

Botox is a great option for crow's feet and smoker's lines. We typically use about 12-25 units in the crow's feet.

Botox used for the smoker's lines above the upper lip is very technique dependent and in our practice we rarely use more than 4 or 5 units. The Botox in the upper lip is usually combined with dermal fillers to offer a more complete solution for smoker's lines. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Be cautious about using Botox around the mouth

+1

The crow's feet will improve somewhat better than the lines that extend down to the cheekbone when you smile. That is because if the latter are treated, you would weaken the smile muscles which may cause you to have an unbalanced smile. You might not be able to pronounce all the letters of the alphabet correctly, and you may have difficulty eating or drinking because the lip loses function.

Smoker’s lines would improve. However, it cannot be injected in the sufficent dose due to the decrease in the lip muscle movement. The lines would disappear, but you would not be able to smile, you would have difficulty brushing your teeth, eating might be problematic, and your speech could be affected. So we can only administer a very low dose into the skin-colored lip near the red lip to improve smoker’s lines. Fillers are used much more commonly for this region.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox for eliminating fine lines and wrinkles

+1

Botox is one of the best things around for eliminating fine lines and wrinkles such as crow's feet and smoker's lines. Rather than "plumping" like collagen and fat, Botox blocks the impulses that nerves send to muscles, essentially paralyzing the muscles and diminishing their ability to tense. Using a very fine needle, the surgeon injects botox in small doses where the facial muscles are most active--between the eyebrow and at the sides of the eyes, or beside the mouth. After receiving treatment, you're forbidden to lie down for several hours, because the medicine can absorb unevenly. It takes one to three days to see the effects, and the treated area will continue to improve for up to two weeks. That's when I schedule my patients to return, to see if a touch-up is needed.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Botox and filler in the lips may reverse mild chronic smoking effects

+1

Smoking increases the appearance of wrinkles and makes photoaging more apparent. Botox is mainly used for dynamic lines mainly in the upper half of the face. I usually start by putting 24 units (12 units on each side) in addition to 2-3 units to raise the eyebrows if the patient wants. For the lower face, especially if the patient is young, major laser resurfacing may not be necessary. 1-2 units in about 8 injection sites on the upper and lower cutaneous lips in addition to filler material in the vermilion border and the fine lines may be just necessary to take the effects of repeated pursing of the lips. In all, cessation of smoking is key to the success of any procedure.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist