Side of Face is Paralyzed After Botox for Crow's Feet

I had botox for crow's feet and now the right side of my face is paralzed. Will this get better? 6 days after botox the right side of my face felt numb. When I smile my mouth pulls down severely on the right. My doc said she believes the botox migrated to the nerve in my cheek and will be fine in a few weeks. Have you ever seen this before and is it reversible?

If BOTOX is not administered correctly, it can cause facial paralysis

+1

If BOTOX is not administered correctly, it can cause facial paralysis. But this is very rare and usually transient. It is important to seek treatment from a doctor who has a lot of experience with BOTOX.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox and Facial Paralysis?

+1

As previous doctore have mentioned, Botox does not effect the nerves themselves, but rather the muscles.  If you experienced some facial paralysis from the botox, then either your physician injected you in the wrong areas, injected you too deeply, or the botox migrated into those muscles.  If it is some migration, the effect will wear off in a few weeks.  If you physician injected you in the wrong area or too deeply, then the effect will last as long as the Botox is around - 3-4 months.  I would discuss this with your physican in more detail.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Botox does not usually cause numbness

+1

Your symptoms don't make sense. Botox does not make nerves numb unless the nerves are injected directly and that is very deeply. Botox interferes with nerves that move muscles and not nerves that allow you to feel

Botox and facial droop

+1
Your doctor may be right about the Botox having affected one of the smile muscles on that side of the face.fortunately this is always temporary. The nerves that allow us to feel sensation and those that make muscles move are different and so the numbness is not explained based on the Botox.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Heavy Handed Botox

+1

Hi,

Botox works in muscles, not nerves.  This should not occur, though we have heard of it happening. Too much Botox was put in the wrong place.

You should be evaluated by an expert in Botox and the facial nerves.  Make sure that you did not develop a coincidental case of Bell's Palsy that can be treated with steroid. 

I hope that your symptoms resolve sooner than later.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Very important that you get BOTOX from an experienced injector

+1

The only reason BOTOX "migrates" is because it was placed inaccurately.  The paralysis of the face you mention can last up to 3 or 4 months.  There really is not much that can be done.  I sorry you have this issue. It sounds like it was placed too low on the cheek.

Steven F. Weiner, MD