Does Botox on Crows Feet Effect Upper Eyelid Surgery?

Botox for Crows Feet and Eyelid Surgery

+1

Before having your blepharoplasty treatment, it is advisable not to be on Botox. Botox for crows feet needs to be injected into the orbicularis oculi muscles. 

Your surgeon will need to treat the eyelid area by making decisions based on the natural state of the muscles and tissue around the eyes.

Relaxing these muscles through the use of Botox may inpact the ability of the surgeon to make the right decisions in correcting the eyelid tissue 

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and upper eyelid surgery

+1

It is ideal to have your eyelid consultation done when Botox has worn off so the surgeon can make an assessment of your natural appearance.  After surgery you may start using the Botox again, but your surgery will have been designed to correct your natural appearance and you'll be better served.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox should not be used in crows feet prior to upper eyelid surgery

+1

Injecting Botox in crows feet relaxes the orbicularis oculi muscle and diminishes wrinkles around the eyes.  That is what we want it to do.  However, if an upper eyelid surgical correction is done while the Botox action is still present in the area, the anatomy will be somewhat changed and may result in a less than optimal correction.

I recommend not having Botox injections for 3-4 months prior to upper eyelid surgery.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Having Botox injected to the Crow's Feet shouldn't have any effect on having a subsequent upper eyelid surgery IMHO.  

Botox works on crow's feet with eyelid surgery

+1

The upper eyelids are far enough away that putting a little Botox in the lateral crow's feet area will be no problem!

John Alexander II, MD

Avoid botox for crows feet before eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty)

+1

In order for your plastic surgeon to know exactly what to trim, and what to lift, it is important that you allow any botox effect around the eyes to vanish before your consultation! Then your plastic surgeon will know better how to address your concerns and make the best plan for surgery.

Ronald Shelton, MD

+1

The short answer is yes.  I prefer my patients to be "off" Botox when they get their eyelid surgery.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox to crow's feet and eyelid surgery

+1

Injecting the crow's feet weakens the orbicularis oculi muscle or the muscle around the eye.  This in turn may raise the lateral brow a bit and therefor soften lateral hooding.  This may impact upper lid surgery.

Yes, botox can affect the upper eyelids.

+1

Thank you for this excellent question.

Botox to the crow's feet area weakens the outer portion of the orbicularis muscle which surrounds the eye. The weakened muscle diminishes the appearance of wrinkles in this area.

This muscle also has the effect of pulling down on the outer portion of the eyebrow.  Weakening the muscle can elevate the outer a eyebrow which in turn will often pull up on some of the outer a eyelid skin.

Similarly, botox  in the middle of the forehead can depress the eyebrows and sometimes make the skin of the upper lid look more redundant. Using botox we can and contour the shape of the eyebrow somewhat.

Because botox in these areas can alter the amount of skin in the upper lid I generally recommend that my patients be evaluated for upper eyelid surgery without botox in place to get a more precise sense of the correct amount of skin that needs to be removed.

I hope that this helps to answer your question.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon