Botox Combined with Filler at Chin

I have restylane filler done to augment my chin 1 month ago. However, I can still see my labiomental crease and would like to have botox injection to my mentalis. Is it a good choice for me?

Combining fillers and botox in the chin

+1

Fillers like restylane can be very helpful to augment the chin, which often recedes with aging and bone thinning/osteoporosis. For dimpling of the chin, adding some Botox can be a great adjunctive therapy. Make sure to see an expert injector such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon for the best treatment results. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane is great for smile folds

+1

If your restylane is finished in the chin, you can go back to treat the smile folds.  This is not an unusual condition.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Combination of Botox or Dysport with Filler for Chin Augmentation

+1

Botox or Dysport  is effective for dimpling of the chin by treating the mentalis muscle. It’s not likely  to have much of an effect on the labiomental crease. A deep labiomental crease is often associated with a “deep bite” or “underbite”. Reducing the depth of the crease significantly with any filler is usually of limited value.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Recommend Against Botox with Filler at Chin

+1

I would reccommend against using Botox with Restylane filler in this area. Poor mobility of the mentalis muscle may cause you some problems with lip movement. 

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fill in chin crease or use Botox

+1

Botox to the mental crease will relax the mentalis muscle and a line or wrinkle in that area but will not add volume to the crease itself.  If you want to fill in the crease, consider a thicker filler like Juvederm Ultra Plus or Perlane.

Fillers and not botox are the best choice for this region

+1
I would recommend using one of the highly effective hyaluronic fillers in this area either the Juvederm Ultra or the Ultra Plus. Another alternative would be Radiesse for this region. Botox is not a good choice for this area as it will not effect the labio-mental crease. You should get some improvement by the fillers however it may not completely resolve your problem. Sometimes an improvement to the area is the best that can be achieved with fillers. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Botox for a Chin Crease?

+1

Hi Victoria.  It sounds like your injector did the right thing by using dermal fillers for the crease in your chin (labiomental crease).  With that said, it's possible that not enough product was used to completely remove the crease.  It's also possible that the crease is too deep to correct with dermal fillers.  

In either case, we do not think you should expect any improvement using Botox.  It's not designed to solve the issue you have.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Treatment of labiomental crease

+1

The labiomental crease can be improved with a dermal filler, such as hyaluronic acid fillers (Juvederm, Restylane or Perlane) or Radiesse. 

Botox is used to relax muscles and to treat dynamic wrinkles and folds, that is folds that appear when the face is animanted and disappear when it is at rest.  Since the labiomental crease is a static fold, meaning it is present when the face is at rest, Botox would not improve it.  Botox can be used on the chin to relax puckering due to mentalis contraction, but Botox injections have to be performed cautiously in this area so as not to cause a lip droop.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox injections of the mentalis and the depressor anguli oris muscle combined with filler materials may be the best option for

+1

Botox injections of the mentalis and the depressor anguli oris muscle combined with filler materials may be the best option for enhancing the lip/chin complex. In any case an evaluation must be performed before proceding.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Botox and fillers to the chin

+1

Botox to the mentalis muscle would help if you have puckering or wrinkling of the chin overlying the mentalis, but it will not correct your labiomental crease. That crease is best improved with injection of filler. When the labiomental crease is deep set, it will likely improve with filler, but not be completely gone.

Anita Patel, MD