Does Botox Work on Chest Lines?

I was told by a prominent dermatologist who's always in the news, that Botox can eradicate chest lines. Is it true?

Never heard of Botox for chest lines

+2

Frankly, this is something new to me. If you chest lines created by sun damage, Botox would absolutely not be helpful since these are the result of breakdown in the tissue of the dermis, i.e. collagen and elastin. Botox only works on dynamic muscles.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Botox for chest lines

+2

I would have to agree with the other physicians here. The vast majority of these lines are due to solar elastosis and actinic damage. These are not commonly related to movement. Having said that, they may respond but the amount of Botox to be used for that large of an area would be considerable. I would seek other methods of treatment.

Botox for chest lines.

+2

Botox in most cases is not useful for chest lines because these lines are related to sun-damaged skin, rather than underlying muscle contraction. I would consider other options including laser or chemical resurfacing.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Botox unlikely to help chest lines

+2

Botox is not FDA approved for chest wall muscles. These lines are more likely due to other factors than muscle contracture. Since Botox works by paralyzing the muscles, its probably not a good idea to paralyze the chest wall muscles. You might check into Thermage or Fraxel treatments, as these have been shown to have some benefit on skin tightening.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Botox and chest lines

+1

I have never heard of Botox being used for "chest lines?"  I have also heard of some doctors promoting breast lifts with Botox too, but that doesn't work either, but it makes for good press!

Not familiar with Botox for chest lines

+1

Hi Desperate,

This use for Botox is not one we are familiar with. Like the other physicians that have commented here, we are betting that laser treatments would be a better option for lines in the chest. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Go to him

+1

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Botox is not intended for such a large area. Perhaps this is an issue with breast size. But if you think this sounds reasonable see the doctor, who's in the news, for a consultation.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Botox works on dynamic wrinkles

+1

Botox works by paralyzing the underlying muscles which reduces dynamic wrinkles of the overlying skin. If your lines are there at rest, the Botox will have minimal effect. If the lines are there from superficial muscle action (contraction), then there will be some effect from the Botox. However, do not expect miracles.

David Shafer, MD