Does Botox Ever Cause Permanent Damage?

My plastic surgeon inadvertently injected my depressor labi six months ago and I still have problems with food trapping and a crooked smile.

Btox, botox complications

+1

Botox never permanently relaxes muscles. It works 3 to 6 months. No permanent harm can be expected

Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox effect will go away in 3 - 4 months

+1

Botox will not cause permanent damage.  The effect is generally short lived and will usually go away in 3 - 4 months.  

Does Botox ever cause permanent damage?

+1

Botox will not cause permanent damage, as it is temporary. The effects of Botox will last 3 months on average, and sometimes longer depending on the patient. I would recommend following up with your surgeon, as they know the extent of your initial treatment. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Botox and permanent damage

+1

Botox shouldn't last longer than 3-4 months. If you haven't followed up with your provider, you should so they are able to assess what's happened and help guide you with your expectations. For a comprehensive list of the potential side effects of Botox, please visit the website referenced below.

Sam Naficy, MD

Is Botox ever permanent

+1

Botox by nature isn't permanent. When there are problems though it can seem like it lasts forever. Depending on the number of units that were used, that can also make it last longer. But really, 6 months is the most I've ever seen effects from Botox last, so you should start seeing changes very soon.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox is not permanent

+1
Botox numbs muscles for about 3 months.  After 3 months the ability of your muscles to contract returns.  If had botox injections several times done regularly, a muscle can be weakened to a point that it takes much longer for it to regain it's strength.  But aside from that, Botox is never permanent

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox Complications

+1

I am not aware of any reports of permanent damage being caused by Botox. The effects of Botox normally wear off after three or four months however for some people this can take longer, but the effects do eventually go away. However, complications may also be caused by the injection process itself which may or may not be permanent. I suggest you follow-up with your physician for evaluation.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Complications with Botox

+1

The effects of the Botox molecule on the ACH receptor are not permanent. However, I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon to discuss options for correction, whether or not it was caused by the Botox. Raffy Karamanoukian, Santa Monica

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Permanent damage from Botox?

+1

I am not aware of Botox causing any permanent effect.  In most cases, the effect of Botox will last about 3-4 months but can last to about 6 months in some treated areas in some people.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon