Can Botox Cause a Loss of Volume?

I saw photos of a woman with dramatic loss of volume to her temples that she says were caused by the Botox. Have any of you doctors seen this adverse effect?

Loss of volume after Botox injections

+1

Botox is a chemical paralytic. Paralysis of the muscle can cause atrophy to some extent. However, the potential loss of volume is very subtle and temporary.

Fort Collins General Surgeon

Loss of volume after Botox

+1

Usually Botox should not cause loss of volume. On the contrary Botox is great to soften the lines.

Jhonny Salomon, MD

Can Botox Cause a Loss of Volume?

+1

This is possible but should be temporary. If it does occur (I have not seen that particular issue) it is likely associated with temporalis Botox injections which are typically used for migraine or TMJ disorders. I've performed alot of both types of injections and have not seen them result in atrophy but it is possible. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes of course BOTOX can cause muscle volume loss.

+1

That is precisely what we are doing when we inject the masseter muscles with BOTOX to reduce the facial contour.  It can occur in the forehead and it can certainly occur in the temple.  However properly done, one should not see these types of changes in the temple.  Periocular cosmetic botulinum toxin treatment should not be associated with volume loss in the temple.  It is more common however with headache treatment.

Botox does not cause volume loss

+1

Botox relaxes muscles and should not cause volume loss. The volume loss was most likely unrelated to Botox. An evaluation with a health care professional could help diagnose what the volume loss problem might be.

David W. Bray, MD
Alexandria Dermatologist

Does Botox cause loss of volume

+1

Botox makes it so that muscles don't move and constrict, halting the ability for that muscle to create lines or wrinkles. It does not create volume loss. However, when muscles don't move for a long period of time, they can create some atrophy but usually not enough to be noticed, especially in the temporal region. With normal amounts of cosmetic Botox injected, Botox should not cause volume loss like this.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD