Botox + Bruxism = No Smile?

I am familiar with Botox and have been treated before for crows feet, frown & forehead. However, I decided to try it for Bruxism, I grind my teeh and wear a mouth guard nightly. I had the procedure done about 2.5wks ago (including crows feet, frown & forehead). I cannot smile properly, everytime I try it looks like a fake smile and like Im in pain. It's pretty noticable as I naturally have a big smile. I just want to know which procedure would have effected the smile & when my smile wil come back?

Botox for teeth clenching

+2

Treating the muscles of mastication/chewing could diffuse to lip elevator muscles. The affected muscles will completely come back to normal. Your facial muscular change will be normal in a few to four months with a high probability. Unfortunately treatment of this indication requires significant experience and not all physicians who are very experienced in injecitng Botox for facial lines have the experience in treating your condition, myself included.

Botox for Bruxism - Botox für Bruxismus (Zähneknirschen)

+1

Usually Botox for bruxism is a safe treatment. The masseter muscle is pretty far away form any smile muscles. 

Botox für Bruxismus (Zähneknirschen) ist im allgemeinen eine Sichere Behandlung, da die Lachmuskeln weit vom Masseter Muskel entfernt sind, welcher für diese Anwendung behandelt wird.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and bruxism

+1

Botox to the lower face likely caused what is going on- the pain likely from the non-injected muscles working against the paralyzed muscles. It is hard to tell what exactly happened, but your injecting physician can let you know what muscles were injected and what to expect. You can expect it to wear off in 3-4months however.

Purvisha Patel, MD
Germantown Dermatologist

Treatment of bruxism (teeth grinding) with botox

+1

Your smile will come back and it is unlikely that the botox to the upper face caused the crooked smile unless the zygomatic muscles were effected by deep injection on the cheek. However, if the masseter was injected that should not cause your smile to effected. Ask your surgeons which muscles were injected for the bruxism.

Yes, your smile will come back

+1

Without seeing a picture, it is hard for me to say absolutely what is accounting for your inability to smile fully.  However, I have seen patients with similar complaints.  It is usually the result of injecting the Botox too low when treating the crow's feet areas.  If the Botox is injected too low, it can affect the muscles that are used to raise the corners of your mouth when you smile.  Given that the effects of Botox are only temporary lasting 3-4 months, your smile should return fully within that timeframe.

I hope my answer was helpful. 

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist