Botox Results on Someone with Bruxism?

If I use Botox for a year then stop, but have habits like bruxism and eating hard things, shall I get any permanent result? I've read an article from a doctor saying that after year of therapy, he was surprised to see that the masseters maintain the result even if no further injections will be done.

Bruxism, Teeth Grinding, Masseter Enlargement and Botox

+2

Botox works great for reducing the strength of the masseter muscles (the biggest jaw muscles which help us grind our teeth).

If you keep getting the Botox injections regularly, the muscle atrophies (becomes less bulky) and over time you will require less Botox or may be none.

Here is the more important question. Why are you grinding your teeth? It usually is a stress response. In our sleep during the REM (Rapid Eye Movement) phase of the sleep we dream and the body including certain muscles can twitch or move. We clench during this part of the sleep and people who are more stressed clench more. This can be reduced sometimes by psychotherapy. The intensity of the clenching can be reduced by using a bed time muscle relaxant medication under the supervision of a physician. Below are some of the instructions that I use for my patients who have bruxism and as a result TMJ problems. I hope it helps you.

Regards

TMJ (JAW JOINT) PAIN PREVENTION

• DO NOT CHEW GUM
• EAT ONLY SOFT FOODS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE EXTENSIVE CHEWING. CHEWY FOODS TO AVOID INCLUDE BAGELS, RAISINS, GRANOLA BARS etc.
• DO NOT YAWN WITH A BIG MOUTH
• DO NOT EAT ANYTHING THAT REQUIRES OPENING A BIG MOUTH, SUCH AS AN APPLE OR A BURGER
• DO NOT MOVE YOUR JAW SIDEWAYS
• DO NOT USE YOUR TONGUE TO REMOVE FOOD PARTICLES STUCK BEHIND YOUR TEETH
• REMIND YOURSELF CONTINUOUSLY TO RELAX YOUR JAW MUSCLES ESPECIALLY AT WORK
• USE MOTRIN FOR PAIN (IF YOUR STOMACH CAN TOLERATE IT)
• APPLY WARM COMPRESSES TO THE JOINT
• SEE YOUR DENTIST/ORAL SURGEON/ORTHODONTIST TO DETERMINE IF YOU NEED A NIGHT GUARD
• TAKE THE MUSCLE RELAXANT (IF GIVEN BY DR. JANJUA)
• YOU MAY ALSO BENEFIT FROM BOTOX INJECTION INTO THE MUSCLES OF THE JAW JOINT.
• YOU MAY ALSO BENEFIT FROM INJECTION OF KENALOG INTO THE TMJ.
• VISIT WWW.TMJ.ORG TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for teeth grinding and slimming the jawline

+1

Thanks for the question. Botox is an excellent treatment option for shrinking the masseter muscles to slim the jawline or to help patients who are grinding their teeth (bruxism). In my practice, I see many patients who have tried to use mouth guards but either continue to grind or have difficulty wearing the mouth guards at night. This grinding can lead to dysfunction and pain in the jaw joint (TMJ).

The Botox is active for 3-4 months after the treatment but in my experience patients are often not requiring a re-injection until 6-12 months later. Subsequent treatments usually require fewer units as well, as the muscles are generally smaller each time. If you are able to break your habit of grinding, you may get a permanent resolution of your issues. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

BOTOX for teeth grinding

+1

Its hard to say for sure. It can happen that after a period of relaxation of the masseter muscle, the neural habit of grinding may diminish or resolve. If you are grinding and damaging your teeth and a "night guard" or dental splint isn't working well for you then give it a try. Depending on the size of your muscle your provider may suggest starting with 25-30 units of Botox on each side.

John E. Gross, MD