Botox and Breastfeeding

I Forgot to tell my doctor I was breastfeeding my 3 month old baby and got 25 units of botox. Should I stop breastfeeding for good?

Botox for Nursing mothers

+1

There are no studies on the safety of Botox during nursing and I would not expect one to be performed anytime soon.  In my opinion, it is unlikely that any problems would arise since the first person to run into systemic toxicity would be the mother but it doesn't seem worth the risk to take any chance at all.  I would hold off for now. 

Long Island Dermatologist

Botox and Breastfeeding

+1

Botox is not recommended for use by nursing mothers. It is unlikely that the Botox would get into your breast milk, but this is clearly an issue that should be discussed with your obstetrician or pediatrician. I would avoid breast feeding until you have had that conversation.

Karen Vaniver, MD

Botox and breastfeeding

+1
I would stop the botox until finished breastfeeding and not have any further treatments. I think it is always better to be safe then sorry and some things we really do not know for sure. While there are no studies showing that there would be harm to your baby or vice versa. I would ask your obstetrician before continuing breastfeeding. Personally in my practice I ask this question prior to any treatment and will not treat anyone who is breast feeding. This is a personal choice for the safety of my patients and the comfort I have in treating them properly. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Botox and breast feeding

+1

Allergan does not recommend  Botox when pregnant or breast feeding. I personnally feel you are ok because the dose used is very small. However you should not cotinue to use Botox until you stop breast feeding

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

It's highly unlikely that injected Botox would get into breast milk.

+1

I certainly don't know for certain, but it's hard to imagine how Botox could end up in breast milk.  Even if it did, Botox is a protein that would be denatured by the acid in the baby's stomach.  I would probably avoid injections of botox in breast feeding women because of the legal sharks swimming around, but I think that you have nothing to worry about.

Botox and Breastfeeding

+1

There are certain things we do not know.  One would be the effects of Botox on pregnancy and breastfeeding.  The safest thing to do would be to talk to your plastic surgeon and obstetrician and call Allergan the makers of Botox.  I would tell my patient to stop breastfeeding.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding and Botox?

+1

Hi Suze.  If you want to continue using Botox, we would recommend that you stop breastfeeding (or vice versa).  While there have been no studies to suggest that using Botox while breastfeeding would harm you baby, there are also no studies that show it's completely safe.  

At our practice, we do not allow it for liability reasons.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Breast feeding and botox

+1

The manufacturer of Botox recommends not using botox in breast feeding women.  You should discuss this with your pediatrician for guidance.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD