Botox for Face Tightening?

I had very deep acne scars, but I had a few laser treatments to treat them and they have been diminished to a point where you can barely seem them. My aesthetician suggested that I take advantage of a Botox special that they are offering during February, but I am not sure if it's worth spending money at all for it. I am looking for something to tighten my forehead and upper face. Would Botox be beneficial to me in regards to a little bit of face tightening? Or is it strictly for wrinkles only?

Botox for tightening

+2

Botox can tighten to the extent that it can relax muscles that oppose other muscles.

For example, Botox in the muscles around the eyes will relax them, causing the lateral brow to go upward because the frontalis muscle still contracts, an apparent tightening effect.

A bit of an indirect answer, but that is what is going on.

Botox can prevent wrinkles but doesn't "tighten" the skin

+1

Botox works best on wrinkles.  From your photo, I don't see any "loose" skin on your forehead and upper face.  If you have wrinkles in those areas, Botox works extremely well.  If you are looking for ways to "tighten" the skin, then you should be researching lasers like the BBL/Skin tight laser by Sciton and other skin tightening lasers.

Michele S. Green, MD

Botox recommendation for skin tightening?

+1

the short answer is no, it does not tighten skin. I would consider a new esthetician, He/she is way off and shouldn't be making that kind of recommendation. even if it is on special. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Botox & Dysport revjuvenate the forehead and midface.

+1

Botox & Dysport (botulinum toxin) are excellent products for rejuvenating the appearance of the forehead and upper face.

These products do not tighten the skin, but instead help smooth wrinkles by relaxing the underlying muscles which create the wrinkles. It is FDA approved for glabellar lines (the vertical lines between the eyes) but has been safely used for many areas including the forehead, crows feet, and bunny lines around the nose.

Based on your picture, you probably don't need a great deal of skin tightening, so most likely Botox or Dysport would be a great choice for rejuvenation. However, these products do not actually tighten the skin, as mentioned above.

Therefore, if you do indeed need tightening of the skin, then there are several options to choose from (laser treatment, chemical peel or others).  

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox will not tighten skin

+1

Don't waste your money on botox if your goal is to tighten your skin.  You would be much better off investing in chemical peels, laser or even carefully selected skin care products to achieve that goal.  Botox is a fantastic option for wrinkles, but not for tightening skin.

Corey L. Hartman, MD
Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox will make skin look smoother

+1
Botox does not tighten the skin. It reduces muscle activity which lessens expression lines which makes the skin smoother which may give the illusion of tightening.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Botox is not a good treatment to tighten faces

+1

Lasers, including fraxel may help improve the texture of your face but if tightening is needed don't look towards Botox injections as a treatment to tighten the face. Botox can help lift droopy areas but won't tighten the face of  patients with sagging skin.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox does not tighten, it relaxes

+1

Botox does not tighten the face it only relaxes muscles which may cause wrinkling of the overlying skin. In some reports Botox has has beneficial effects on acne as well.

Botox will not tighten facial skin

+1

Botox will not tighten facial skin. Botox relaxes facial muscles so it has a softening effect and can even cause areas to droop.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Skin Tightening and Botox use.

+1

Botox is not used for skin tightening, although it can have a lifting effect. It is used to smooth wrinkles caused by the muscles that move the face.

I would advise you to consult with an experienced cosmetic surgeon to assess what exactly you are looking to correct and the best approach to reaching the result you want.

Anifat Balogun, MD