Botox for Bell's Palsy?

I had Bell's Palsy 3 years ago and the symptoms are still there in my mouth and eye (more in my mouth). Can Botox help? If not, any suggestions?

Botox and Bell's Palsy

+2

Botox reduces muscle function. It can't restore muscle function to the weaker side, but can focally reduce the stronger side.

If the normal side is hyperactive relative to the affected side, your surgeon can tone down the activity to create more symmetry. Patients who previously had very asymmetric smiles or brow activity can regain much more symmetry with very focused use of Botox. Obviously, this is the "graduate course" so choose your doctor accordingly. Experience with facial nerve paralysis reconstruction is a good background to look for.

Botox may help for symmetry or facial spasms

+1

I'm sorry to hear you've had idiopathic facial paralysis (ie' Bell's palsy), and hope you've already had a comprehensive evaluation of possible causes of the paralysis, which includes blood, MRI, and neurology testing.

Botox may be used for either facial spasms on the same side as the prior Bell's. Occasionaly, facial muscles spasm or contract uncontrollably following recovery of facial paralysis. Botox on the affected side helps reduce these spasms.

Alternatively, Botox may be used on the other side (unaffected by prior facial paralysis) to help relax the facial muscles to improve overall facial symmetry.

Lastly, there may be facial plastic surgery that could be appropriate for your condition. Speak with your plastic surgeon to help identify how Botox or other therapy may be used for your condition.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Depends on what you want to do.

+1

As you know, Bell's palsy may result in weaknes or paralysis of facial muscles.  Botox injected into this area will further weaken the muscles, and make the situation on THAT side worse.  However, if used on the unaffected side, it may improve symmetry.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD