Botox Before or After Losing Weight?

Hi, I am 41 years old and am interested in getting Botox on my forehead and around my eyes. However, I need to loose about 14lbs to get myself back in really good shape.

When I lose weight it tends to come off my face. Should I have Botox before or after my planned diet?

Thanks,
Kay

No Difference

+1

It should make no difference whether you have BOTOX now or later. Perhaps, having BOTOX placed now will inspire you to lose weight as it might serve as part of a total body makeover.

Botox works on muscle innervation and not fat.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Weight Loss and Botox

+1

Botox will be fine nor will it be an issue if you were to lose weight.  Botox plays a role on the muscles and by losing weight it will not affect your botox result.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-botox-newport-beach.php

Weight has no effect on Botox result.

+1

Hi!

Botox works by relaxing muscles, and whether you weigh 15 pounds more or less will have absolutely no effect on your Botox result.  So you can have Botox now.

There is no reason to wait for Botox

+1

There is no reason to wait because Botox will work any ways and the results last about 4 months, so you can repeat the procedure after you lose weight as well.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

I agree with the others

+1

Kay

There is absolutely no reason to wait. Do something nice for yourself. The change in weight will obviously be a good thing for you but it will not make such a difference to warrant postponing treatment with BOTOX.

I see no reason to wait

+1

Botox has specific actions and if you have discussed your expectations with your doctor, I see no reason to wait until you lose weight.  Botox works on patients regardless of weight, particularly in the frown area.  Lose skin from weight loss will appear regardless of your utilization of Botox.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Botox and weight loss

+1

Great question Kay,

The amount of subcutaneous tissue that you would lose in your forhead and peri-ocular areas is insignificant with a 14 lb weight loss. Also, remember that botox acts on muscle and not fat. Your wrinkles are unlikely to change with that kind of weight loss so go ahead and treat yourself today! It shouldn't make a difference. Good luck!

Use it now.

+1

Although there are many individuals that lose weight in their face and hence may make them look older, this does not occur on the forehead or around the eyes. The lose skin that appears from weight loss is typically seen in the lower or mid face such as the neck, jowls and cheeks.

Go ahead, Botox in the upper face will not be an issue.

Botox and Weight Loss

+1

Dear Kay,

Weight loss should not influence your plans to lose weight IF the reasons for weight loss are to get back to a healthy BMI.

Proper application of Botox is used to weaken hyperactive muscles causing active wrinkles on certain parts of the face such as the crow's' feet, forehead and frown lines, alleviation of the gummy smile and alleviating smoker's lines and the banding of the neck muscles (platysma).

While a large weight loss may cause a mild deflation of certain, fat parts of the face (such as the cheeks and jowl areas) it will not improve or worsen the areas of wrinkles Botox is usually used in.

I would recommend you get your Botox from a qualified practitioner when YOU want such lines smoothed away. No need to wait.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.