Botox for Bell's Palsy Twitching?

I have Bell's Palsy. It has been over a year now, and although my face looks fairly normal, I now have a twitching in my eye, especially when I eat and drink. This is due to cross wiring of the nerve. I would like to know, would Botox be helpful for me, and if so, where exactly would it be injected?

Botox and Bell's Palsy

+2

Thanks for your question.

Bell's Palsy (both symptomatic spasm and for symmetry) is a medical indication for Botox.

Many insurance plans will cover treatment so call your insurer to check if your covered.

Neuromuscular Retraining and Botox are a great combination for facial synkinesis

+1

HI.  I see that your question was posted quite some time ago.

Many patients who acquire facial paralysis (from Bell's palsy, trauma, or other reasons) develop abnormal movements of facial muscles about 6 months after the paralysis occurs. As mentioned, this is called facial synkinesis.

Some occupational therapists can be very helpful with a treatment called Neuromuscular Retraining. In the U.S. one of the very best is a woman named Jackie Diels, OT. Perhaps there is someone with like Jackie in your area.

Botox works wonderfully for synkinesis.  The key is small doses and strategic placement (avoiding muscles which would be problematic if effected by the Botox). An ophthalmologist or an oculoplastic surgeon may be particularly valuable in your care.

Hope this helps.

Mark Lucarelli, MD

Madison, WI

Mark J. Lucarelli, MD
Madison Oculoplastic Surgeon

Give it time

+1

I agree with Dr.Placik that this is a "form" of facial synkinesis. Depending on how long and how severe your Bell's Palsy was will depend on the eye issues that you're having.

Before you look into Botox I would consider either waiting or maybe a week of Medrol. When nerves get injured due to a virus and result in Bell's Palsy they can take years to heal.

So give it time first before you jump into something that could be very damaging in the wrong hands.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Botox for eyelid spasm/twitching

+1

I would consult an ophthalmologist or other practitioner with experience treating blepharospasm with Botox. The technique involves injecting small doses of botox to several locations above and below the eyes. Frequently insurance will reimburse for this indication, and you and/or your treating office can check with your insurance company regarding coverage.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Synkinesis following Bell's Palsy

+1

You are describing a common phenomenon called: FACIAL SYNKINESIS, which may occur after facial trauma or Bell's palsy. Neuromuscular therapy and Botox are the mainstay of treatment. Rarely, advanced or resistant cases may require surgery.

You may want to look this up online and seek care from an individual with experience in this area. In terms of the areas to inject, it really depends on which nerves/muscles are affected. There are some muscles( i.e., orbicularis oculi) you can inject and others that may exhibit spasms but you would not want to inject (i.e., zygomaticus major).

Yes, speak to your ophthalmologist.

+1

Yes, this is one of the primary indications for medically-necessary Botox use. You should speak with your ophthalmologist, who has experience in this area, to arrange for the injections. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Blepharospasm

+1

It sounds like you have a blepharopsm which is one of the medical indications for Botox(r). Injection should be along the orbitcular muscle with care not to inject too close to the lower eyelid. This should help your problem tremendously and in some cases will be reimbursed by insurance.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon