Does Botox and Microcurrent Facials Cancel Each Other out for Wrinkle Reduction?

Looking at botox and micro current facials to lift sagging skin and reduce wrinkles, just want to make sure there is no negative interactions, would not do them within 2 weeks of each other...but seems like micro current stimulates muscle while botox numbs it, so just want to make sure I wouldn't be working against myself in this process...thanks...Stella

Electronic stimulation of muscle contraction vs. Botox

+2

You pose a very interesting question. Can Botox interfere with the effectiveness of stimulating muscle contraction by electronic impulses as the Botox would relax the muscle contraction. The electric impulses serve the stimulation for the contraction so it is doubtful that the botox-relaxed muscle would not contract with the electronic stimulation. More study needs to be done to determine if electronic stimulation of muscles actually create more tone infrastructure and lifting as I am not sure this has been proven in blinded scientifically-controlled experiments.

Botox and microcurrent facials

+2

You should have no problems or interactions with your Botox and microcurrent facials, and I do agree that you should separate them by at least 1 week. It is the Botox that will do much more for you as far as your dynamic wrinkles of the upper face.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

These approaches will not negate each other

+2

These approaches will not negate each other. However remember it is the Botox that is giving you the longer results

David Goldberg, MD

+1

I am familiar with both and there's nothing to suggest that micro-current would interfere with the effects of Botox.  

Botox and current should not cancel one another

+1
However, there is no evidence that the facials are efficacious. If you have post procedure swelling, it could produce stretching.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Botox and Micro-current Facials

+1

Botox is the treatment of choice for the upper third of the face.  It works best for the dynamic lines created by muscle movement and does this by reducing or eliminating the movement. Botox is extremely effective.  Micro-current facials, in my opinion, may help a bit for the lower third of the face, but I question their effectiveness in general.  

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist