Botox and Closed Angle Glaucoma Combination Safe?

Hi, I have read the reviews about open angle glaucoma and botox, however is it safe for patients with acute closed angle glaucoma to have botox in the crows feet and/or forehead area. I have three trabulecomies (2 years ago). Prettys stable now - one drop twice a day. Thank you

You can get Botox if you have any type of glaucoma

+3

It is safe to have Botox injections if you have closed angle glaucoma. Botox treatments do not effect the pressure in your eye and do not interact with glaucoma medications.

Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Closed angle glaucoma should be treated with a laser iridotomy.

+2

Once the narrow or closed angle is treated with a laser iridotomy, the risk of the angle closing acutely as a result of taking medications, or other precipitating factors.  Some individuals have been advised that they have a narrow angle and are at risk for developing angle closure glaucoma.  Generally the risk of laser iridotomy are small compared to the risk of developing narrow angle glaucoma.  The fact that you required a more involved glaucoma filter procedure suggests you had a more complex form of glaucoma such as angle close with scaring.  WIth a stable pressure following glaucoma filtering surgery it is unlikely that a BOTOX service could cause any issues with the glaucoma.  

Botox treatment and wrinkles

+1

Botox has not been associated with exacerbating narrow or wide angled glaucoma but proceed cautiously.

Ronald Shelton, MD