Botox and Chin Implant? (photo)

21 year old male. I have visited a few PS's for their opinion and they all agreed I would be a good candidate for a chin implant. However I wanted to know if I will still be able to get botox injections in my chin area? My chin bunches into a dimple when I close my lips. Botox hides the chin dimple completely and has been working for me. I worry that if I get a chin implant I will no longer be able to use botox because I could get an infection or bad reaction.

Chin Dimples Respond Well To A Combination of Botox & Nonsurgical Chin Augmentation

+2

I have been using Botox for cosmetic purposes since 1991 and for treating chin dimples in particular since the mid-1990s. I have found it (and more recently the other neuromodulators: Dysport and Xeomin) to yield consistently gratifying results in smoothing out chin dimples, sometimes referred to as the orange peel (peau d'orange) appearance. In general, it only takes one to three droplets to effect a significant improvement.

For the past ten years I have been combining Botox treatments of the chin with nonsurgical augmentation using volumizing fillers. For chin augmentation, my favorite combination in my Upper East Side Manhattan office is Radiesse and Perlane L, both of which have excellent lifting capacity. In my experience combining neuromodulators with volumizers (if desired, at the same visit) results in a more durable improvement. In my Israel practice where a far greater number of more robust, regulatory agency approved volumizers are available, I prefer to combine Radiesse with Restylane SQ. 

Consultation with a board certified aesthetic physician with extensive experience with these techniques is essential. 

Botox and Chin Implant

+2

A chin implant would help balance your lower face.  You should be able to continue with your botox treatments to your chin as well.  Just remember to always let your injector know that you do have a chin implant.  Best of luck! 

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologist

Botox and chin implant

+2

I agree that a chin implant would create better balance to your face. There is no reason why you could not subsequently have Botox injections. 

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and botox

+2

Even from your limited picture, you appear to be a good candidate for a chin implant to balance your lower face.  The bunching of the chin area is from a muscle movement that causes that dimpling in the skin.  Botox works by weakening muscle contraction and that is why it works so well for your dimpling on the chin.  The chin implant is placed just above the bone and is well beneath the muscle.  Botox injections are much more superficial then the implant as the muscle is just beneath the skin.  You would still be able to continue these injections without significant increase risk of infections or problems. 

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and chin dimples

+2

Botox is awesome for chin dimples. The chin implant is placed under the muscle and wont affect botox use.

Michael Weinberg, MD

Botox and Chin Implant?

+2

I have performed many chin implant surgeries over the pst 25 + years and yes, certainly you'll still be able to have the chin muscle injected with Botox.  The chin implant should be placed directly on top of the bone and under the muscle, so it's well below the level that the Botox should be injected.  I have done this many times.  Hope this helps.

FYI, the chin implant, in my opinion, should never be placed through an intra-oral incision but rather through an incision under the chin.  There are multiple reasons for this which are covered in detail in my blog posts on the subject of chin augmentation with chin implants.

Chin dimpling and chin implant and botoc

+2

A chin implant is palced deep to the muscle using an intraoral of submental incision. Botox is injected into the muscle to minimize dimpling.

Botox for chin dimpling

+2
Dear Mistera9 Botox is extremely effective in treating chin dimpling, as you have experienced 1st hand. It targets the muscle of the chin(Mentalis).  Chin implants, or fillers for the chin area, are placed at a deeper level. Botox would still work perfectly. There is no risk of a bad reaction, or infection.

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox is fine with a chin implant

+2

There is no problem in treating the chin area with Botox if you have a chin implant.  Botox is sterile and should not pose an infection risk.  Steve Weiner, Facial Plastic Surgeon, Destin, Florida.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox and Implants

+1

Since chin implants go deep to the musculature almost on top of the bone and in some cases directly on the bone, botox injections would still be effective. Botox for chin dimpling works very well even in small doses so a chin implant wouldn't effect the dose either in my opinion.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon