Can You Have Botox and Breast Feed? I Have Been Told Yes by 3doctors As the Botox is Not Absorbed.

I had Botox 2days ago and was advised by my dermotoligist that it was safe due to being localised and not absorbed into the bold, hence no affect on breast milk. Since then I have read so much conflicting information, I feel physically sick about what I have done and the potential harm to my baby. I checked with 2other drs who both said the same as my dermatoligist however, I am worried to death. Please advise me, I'm going out of my mind.

Botox safety and breast feeding

We don't have data of testing pregnant or nursing mothers and Botox therapy. However, there was a woman whose case was published in the medical literature, in which she developed true Botulism from eating poisoned food, during her third trimester of pregnancy and the baby was delivered surgically prematurely, and was delivered healthily! 

We don't knowingly inject women who are nursing but we are not aware of any problematic situations from such incidents.  Certainly, women are best advised and physicians best advised, not to have women who are pregnant and nursing have Botox treatment, but there is no medical literature that the fetus will be affected adversely.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Botox absorption and breastfeeding

I generally advise against having Botox injected during pregnancy or nursing since it simply has not been studied in this population. While the likelihood of problems is remote, why take any chance at all? There are lots of things you could try during breastfeeding just because someone tells you its okay, but I'm not sure you'd sleep well at night, and if anything ever happened to your child, you'd never know what or who to blame.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

4256 Bathurst Street
Toronto, ON M3H 5Y8

Botox and Breastfeeding = NO

We do not do testing on pregnant or nursing females, so the effects are unestablished. It is thought that Botox is localized and doesn't enter the bloodstream, therefore wouldn't affect breastmilk, but quite frankly, that's not proven. Allergan (who makes Botox) and most physicians would not recommend doing Botox while pregnant or nursing. It's just not a good idea and the true effects can't be studied or tested.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

8937 W Sahara Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89117

I would not recommend Botox treatment during pregnancy and breastfeeding and it's better to wait till you finish breastfeeding.

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

4256 Bathurst St.
Toronto , ON M3H 5Y8

Botox and breastfeeding

It is not recommended to have Botox injections during pregnancy and/or breastfeeding as there are no studies confirming the safety of it. 

Sam Naficy, MD

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Hold off on Botox while pregnant or breastfeeding

My question would be why you felt compelled to have Botox now and not wait until you are finished breastfeeding. Is it that important? Botox is localized but there are no clinical studies establishing it's effects on a nursing mother.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Botox: Is it safe during and pregnancy and breastfeeding?

Since we do not perform studies on pregnant and breastfeeding women, there is no literature or proof to determine its safety in these cases. I agree with previous posts and as a standard, I do not treat pregnant or breastfeeding women with Botox.  Again, this is just a precaution as there is not proof to say it is unsafe.  In my pratice, I simply prefer to error on the side of caution when it comes to elective procedures. 

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologic Surgeon

500 S 52nd Street
Rogers, AR 72758

Botox not recommended while breast feeding

Although there is no evidence that cosmetic Botox in limited dosage can have any effect on the infant being breast fed, there is no study that definitively confirms its safety to the infant and for that reason, I would recommend against use of botox during pregnancy or breast feeding.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

1000 Plain Street
Marshfield , Massachusetts 02050

Botox and pregnancy

We agree with Dr. is best to be safe.  We recommend waiting until you are finished breast feeding before returning to your Botox treatments.  There are several other safe skin care options to help you look and feel your best during this time.  Thanks for your question and congratulations on your baby.

Richard W. Maack, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

17000 Baxter Road
Chesterfield, MO 63005

To be safe, we choose not to treat breastfeeding patient with Botox Cosmetic

Hi and thank you for your question. The simple answer is "best to be safe". We know that there may be minimal risks associated with having this treatment while breastfeeding, however much like pregnancy, we believe that it's a short window of pause and in prioritizing safety and importance, yours and your child's health come first. There are physicians who will provide treatment, but we prefer there never be a question of doubt should there be a reaction, related or unrelated to Botox Cosmetic. may provide you details and patient information that may help you further. 

Thank you again for your good question.

Gregory Mesna, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

7407 Wayzata blvd.
St. Louis Park, MN 55426