Botox Allergy Testing. I Want an Allergy Test but Doctors Offering Botox Said it is Unheard of. Why is This?

I had botox over a year ago while on antibiotics a few hours after treatment my eyes started burning very badly,also over the next to weeks I developed hives over my entire forehead where I had treatment,i saw a dermatologist who said it was an allergic reaction,with steroids this cleared up.The doctor who gave me the botox did not think it was due to the botox but wont treat me incase.I want an allergy test but doctors offering botox said it is unheard of and wont do this.Why is this.

Allergy to Botox??

+2

I would take this seriously and be careful. You can be allergic to anything in the preparation and it might not be the toxin itself. I have never seen or heard of this but would never say that it is impossible. YOu might try a test site on arm and even might try it with another product such as Dysport. I would be sure that you are at the doctors and stay there for a little while after in case of a problem.

Birmingham Dermatologist

It is unusual but not unhead of.

+2

In your case, I think it is entirely appropriate that you get subdermal treatment in the forearm with a challenge dose of botox to make sure you are not allergic.  I recommend you find doctors who take your medical history a little more seriously.

Botox Allergy Testing

+1

I have had a few patients over the years who came to me and were sure they were allergic to Botox (treated at other offices, and came to me for something else). I have always tested those patients with a small injection into the forearm with just a few units to determine in fact if they are or are not allergic. Of the 5 people I have done this for, none were allergic to Botox. (3 of them were allergic to numbing cream, however, which can happen.) I have and will continue to test patients if they think they are allergic. It's important to take things like this serious even if I personally have never seen a reaction or allergy to Botox. So find an injector who is willing to test you.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox Allergy Testing

+1

It is extremely rare to be "allergic" to Botox, though theoretically possible.  In the rare case that a patient has some sort of reaction to Botox injections, it is more likely that they are reacting to something in the numbing cream used to numb the skin, or in the product used to mix the Botox.  If you are really nervous about it, you can have your injector give you a small "test" patch of botox in the forearm a week prior to treating the desired areas on your face or neck.

Dara Liotta, MD