Can Botox Affect my Sleep Apnea?

I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. I would like to know if Botox would affect my condition of sleep apnea in any way. thanks

Botox and sleep apnea

+2

Botox if inejcted into the upper third of the face should have no impact on sleep apnea at all.  Good luck.

Botox Cosmetic shouldn't affect sleep apnea

+2

Treating your forehead, glabella, and/or crow's feet will not affect your sleep apnea in any way. If you were to have it injected for cervical dystonia, or into the neck, it might, as it could affect your muscles there. But for cosmetic purposes in the face, you should be just fine.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox and Sleep Apnea

+2

Facial Botox wll not affect your sleep apnea.  If larger dosages are used in the neck, it can affect it.  

David Alessi, MD

Cosmetic Botox won't affect sleep apnea

+2

Cosmetic use of Botox or Dysport is very safe as there is minimal if any systemic systemic absorbtion. 

The primary problem with sleep apnea is usually the collapse of muscles while you are sleeping, therefore use of botox on the tongue or other muscles would only make the problem worse. Treatment of sleep apnea is very important to prevent long term health problems, so make sure you seek treatment in some way.

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and sleep apnea

+2
To my knowledge, Botox would not treat sleep apnea nor would cosmetic use of Botox have any implications for this condition.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Sleep apnea is not affected by Botox in the forehead or Crow's feet

+1

There should be no exacerbation or improvement in your sleep apnea if you have upper forehead, glabellar frown lines or crow's feet treated with Botox. If however, you have a high number of units injected into the neck for platysma bands or horizontal neck creases (the latter in my hands don't improve with Botox), there might be a diffusion to affect your sleep apnea, but this is not well reported.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Can Botox Affect my Sleep Apnea?

+1

No, Botox to the forehead, glabella or crow's feet would not effect your sleep apnea, IMO.  You may want to avoid having any neurotoxin (Botox, Dysport or Xeomin) placed in the neck area however.

Botox and sleeping

+1

Botox injected into the face properly by a specialist such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon will have no effect on your sleep apnea. Injecting the neck could theoretically pose a rare risk.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Will Botox affect Sleep Apnea?

+1

Hello Sandra.  As long as the Botox you are getting is injected into the upper face, then there will be no affect on your sleep apnea.  

Botos is sometimes injected into the neck wrinkles (platysmal bands). As long as the Botox is not injected into this area, you should be ok.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD