Does Botox Affect Allergies?

I am currently allergic to NSAIDs along with certain fruits (bananas, apples, watermelon) as well as pollenns and such. I currently get monthly injections for my allergies and it has kept me under control for several years. I recently starting experiencing Blepharospams and my ophthamologists is recommending Botox to deaden the nerves to lessen the the Blepharospams. Do you thing that there will be any adverse affects of the Botox in my system that would trigger my allergies listed above?

Does Botox Affect Allergies?

+1

It is very unlikely that Botox will have any effect on your allergies.  Botox is a locally acting medication which has been in use for over 20 years.  In fact, although it has now widespread use for wrinkles it was first used by ophthalmologists.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and sensitivities

+1

I doubt Botox would "trigger" a food allergy, however, I would recommend visiting with a well-trained and experienced provider for all options and to further assess your specific need. Visit the Botox website for more information on side-effects and adverse affects.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox is safe for patients with food allergies

+1

Based on your description of your food alergies, I don't believe there is any risk of allergic reaction to Botox treatment. Botox is an excellent therapy for blepharospasm.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Does Botox affect allergies?

+1

The Botox will not cause any issues with your allergies, and will stay localized to the area it is injected. I would recommend speaking with your provider about any concerns prior to having treatment with Botox. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Botox and Allergies

+1

Botox will not affect your allegies in anyway. Botox is a great treatment for blepharospasm and for cosmetic use. There actually has not been any reported allergies to Botox. 

Joseph J. Castellano, MD
Tampa General Surgeon

Botox and allergies to foodstuffs, environmental allergens

+1

Botox injection will have no affect on your allergies to foodstuffs or environmental allergens. If the blepharospasm is bothering you, get treated with Botox.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Does Botox affect allergies?

+1

Being treated with Botox, whether for blepharospasm (as in your case) or for any cosmetic purpose will not affect allergies.  So you should be fine receiving Botox with your allergies to NSAIDs, certain fruits, and pollens.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and allergies

+1

In the very first days of Botox, it was used exclusively to treat blepharospasms. Since then its cosmetic capabilities were obviously established and it moved toward the cosmetic realm more, but it absolutely has a place in treating blepharospasms, headaches, cervical dystonia, and many other conditions. Low doses are used in injections like yours and Botox doesn't contain anything that should trigger any of your known allergies.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD