Botox Actually Make a Difference After a Certain Point, or is It Just Wasted Product?

I have been considering Botox for a while, and most offices have quoted me with needing about 40-50 units to treat crows feet. forehead, and between the eyebrows. However one doctor said he thought only about 25 would be needed (I'm petite) and explained that once the muscles are "deadened" the extra amounts of Botox won't do any benefit, but simply cost more. The cost saving is of course very appealing, and am curious if the Botox will wear off faster if less is used or of any other draw backs?

Botox dose can vary but its effect can vary as well

+3

Every  patient needs an indvidual consultation to determine during an examination how strong their muscles seem to be and where the wrinkles are that will be treated.  The dose then can vary significantly from patient to patient.  As a patient ages, their dose can change too depending on the muscle activity.  Interestingly, I see many patients in a cosmetic clinic of a hospital in which I volunteer by teaching dermatology residents how to inject fillers and botox.  These patients see different doctors and they have different attending physicians supervising them over the years. From many patients' comments I have learned that those who have been injected with markedly fewer units by other doctors often complain about the Botox wearing off more quickly than when they were treated by my recommendations. 55 units would be an average dose for crows feet, glabella (between the eyebrows) and the upper forehead for my patients. Some get less and some more. The average duration is about 14 weeks.

Botox Doseage

+3

The amount of Botox, or any neurotoxin, needed to product the desired result varies greatly from patient to patient.  There is no set formula.  If you go to a reputable injector and explain your expectations, that injector should be able to figure out what dose would be best for you.  40-50 units of Botox does not sound excessive to do your forehead, crow's feet, and between the brows.  25 units sounds low for all three areas!

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Botox Dosing

+2

The amount or dosing of Botox is individualized to the patient and muscle bulk in the area to be treated. In general men need more units of Botox per muscle area than women. 40-50 units of Botox to treat your crows feet, forehead and between the eyebrows is not unreasonable, even with your petite size. 

Ultimately, the amount you would need is best estimated by examining you and assessing your facial expressions. Go to an experiences injector.

Anifat Balogun, MD

+2

This is the difference between MD's that inject Botox and is part or the art of medicine.  Not everything is cookbook and doctors do things slightly (sometimes vastly) differently.  I have done Botox injections for well over 22 years and to treat the Crow's Feet, Glabella and Forehead areas depend on how deep and how lined these areas are.  Most likely 30-40 units would be required but without seeing you, that's just a guess.  

Is less Botox better

+2

It's hard to know exactly how much Botox you will need without a consultation.  Larger patients, e.g., more muscular patients and patients with fast metabolism will require more Botox to achieve an optimal result.  There is no way to know for certain ahead of time without undergoing the treatment.  I always start with the minimum amount needed and add more as necessary.  That way you don't spend more than you need to.  However, if you don't use enough to get the results you're looking for, the effect won't last as long.

Peterson Pierre, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Botox Dosage Needs to be Individualized to the Needs of the Patient

+2

Placement of Botox, Dysport or Xeomin needs to be customized to the individual.  A consultation is necessary to determine the exact amount to be used.

"Deadening" of movement is not natural and not the look that the majority of patients look for. At the same time using too low a dose will not give you the result you hope to achieve and may give you a false impression of how Botox works.

Speak with friends who have been happy and they will lead you in the right direction on which MD to pick

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dose of Botox

+2

Every patient is different and the average dose is around 50 units to treat all three areas.  This dose is usually good for softening the wrinkles but also maintaining normal animation.  Without examining you or seeing animation pictures, it really is impossible to guess how much Botox you would need.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Botox dosage

+2
If an unsufficient amount of product is used, it will not produce the desired result. Petite stature would have no implications for the amount of Botox necessary in the face. An important consideration would be the degree to which Botox is necessary, for example, and this can't be ascertained without a photograph.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Botox Amount

+1

Each patient requires a different amount of botox to achieve a good result.  For the three area, 40 - 50 units sound reasonable. 25 units sounds low.  If the one physician quoting the amount is considerably lower than other he is either not understanding your needs or is not going to be able to get the same correction as the others.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox dosage

+1

It really varies from patient to patient.  Depends on the size and muscle mass of the area to be treated.

David A. Lickstein, MD