Botox 80 Units Recommended for the Forehead, Recommended?

I am 34 and considering getting Botox done for the first time to address the issue of horizontal lines on my forehead. The doctor I went to see recommended 80 units for the forehead area and 20 for the area around the eyes? After reading through your comments I see that the average amount of units for the forehead area is about 30-35. Please advise as to whether the amount recommended is normal for this issue. Thank you!

Botox dosage for the forehead

+2

80 units is too much for the forehead, frown lines and brow lift all together.  20 units is average for crow's feet.  Please see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is an experienced injector to receive the best possible treatment.

Toronto Dermatologist

Number of units for botox in the forehead

+2

The number of units needed for forehead treatment can vary considerably per individual based on their anatomy, strength of muscles and if the glabella (between the eyebrows) and upper forehead is done or just the glabella. At your age and as its your first treatment, it might be better to start with a much lower number of units. You can always add, but you can't take away.

Ronald Shelton, MD

100 units of Botox?

+2

100 units of botox is excessive for these areas.  Are you sure the physician was not referring to 100 units of Dysport.  100 units of Dysport equates to about 33 units of Botox.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Number of Botox units needed for forehead

+2

80 units in the forehead area is too high.  Your doctor should try to find the lowest dose of Botox that is effective for you.  He/she may also be referring to forehead and glabella together, but even then - the number is still too high.  The doctor may also be using Botox at a different dilution. The best thing to do if you like the doctor would be to clarify why the number of units is so high or get a second opinion from another physician for comparison. 

Jeannie Khavkin, MD
Las Vegas Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

80 units of Botox is a large dose and you might want to have a more typical dose of 20-25 units to start IMHO.

Botox units depends on the patient

+2

80 units sounds like a lot, maybe they were referring to Dysport and not Botox?  I would get a second opinion and also clarify with your doctor what they were referring to. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologist

Units of Botox needed

+2

Eighty units for the forehead seems a bit high, especially if this is the first time you are using it.  I would seek another opinion for comparative purposes.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Number of units for Botox in forehead

+2

I use 50 units on average for a full treatment of Botox - forehead, glabella, and around the eyes. I would say that 80 units is an excessive amount, especially for a first time user who's never tried it or shown you need extra units! I really think the dilution is different than most of us are using and that's why the increase in amount. I would suggest you try to find another physician for a consultation and compare.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Number of Botox units for forehead

+2

That sounds a little high.  I use 30 units across the brows, 20 units in the crow's feet (total for both sides) and 4-8 units across the upper forehead, on average.  This can vary depending on how patients have responded to previous injections.  Some patients don't want to spend much, but want to try Botox and we compromise and put in less, with the warning that they may not get as dramatic an effect as they want. It can't hurt to ask the injector how they are diluting their Botox, as a few unscrupulous people have been reported to elevate their unit numbers to people who have no way of knowing exactly what is being injected. Bottom line, find someone you trust.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon