Botox at 29 As a Preventative Measure?

I just had a consult with a dermatologist because I am starting to develop some discoloration, fine lines around my eyes and crows feet when I smile. He suggested that I have a peel and a microderm and then come in for botox for my crows feet. He said that botox gets a bad hype and that it won't paralyze my face... and it will actually help my crows feet from getting deeper in the future. And he said he will just use very minimal. Any advice? I attached a pic of my eyes when I am smiling...

Botox as a preventative against wrinkles and crow's feet

+2
Botox absolutely can be used as a preventative. I am able to use fewer units in the sites that don't yet have wrinkles but would be expected to develop them with age.this keeps the cost down. Your lines under the eyelids appear to occur though when you make a big smile rather than by only squinting. If you need to make a big smile to make the lines then Botox won't help those lines enough because you wouldn't want to prevent the smile muscles from working.If however you see lines on the sides of your eyelids when you squint then preventative Botox in the Crow's feet areas makes sense if you want to minimze their development.

Botox works best as a preventive measure

+2

Lines around the eyes are produced by the muscle underneath the skin. Botox relaxes this muscle and thus these lines get smoother or disappear completely. Every year that you have Botox is a year without deepening your crows feet.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for Crow's Feet?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Yes the use of Botox  may be helpful in treating the current peri ocular lines  and may help slow their  worstening with time. 

Botox as a preventative?

+1

I find nothing wrong with your doctor's suggestions.  They seem quite sound  to me.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for Crow's Feet... Preventative?

+1

First of all, if the lines bother you then I think Botox would be a good alternative. It will help to soften these fine lines and help them from becoming worse. If they don't bother you enough now to do something about it, then hold off for now. In addition start using a good sunscreen that you like to use and other sun-protective measures (like hats and seeking shade). Those things are the best options to prevent other wrinkles from developing in the future.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Wait to do Botox

+1

I disagree with the other professionals.  I don't believe you should do Botox preventively.  Your crows feet are supposed to crease when you smile.  At some point, if the lines stay creased, even when you are relaxed and not smiling, and this bothers you, then you can consider Botox.  Botox works very well once you have the lines and I don't believe you gain much ground by doing it prior to actually needing it.

Lisa Benest, MD
Burbank Dermatologist

Botox, Dysport, Wrinkle Treatment, Beverly Hills Botox Dysport, Los Angeles Botox Dysport

+1

I have been using Botox for over 20 years to treat unwanted lines and wrinkles of the forehead and face.  You do have evidence of Crows Feet now, so the Botox would not technically be preventative but would weaken the muscles causing the Crows Feet.  If you maintain the Botox treatments every 4-6 months those muscles would remain in a weakened state and the Crow's Feet should not worsen. 

Botox Cosmetic to prevent crow's feet

+1

Botox Cosmetic works by temporarily relaxing muscles of facial expression.  It is FDA approved to treat the frown lines which form between the eyebrows.  It is also commonly used to treat other areas of the face including the crow's feet that tend to from during squinting.  Many younger patients not only benefit from the elimination of early lines, but there is also a theoretical preventative advantage.  I don't know of any published studies proving that Botox Cosmetic is useful in preventing lines from forming later in life.  The downside of starting injections at 29 is that if you like the results you will need to repeat treatments every 3-4 months to maintain your appearance.  One of the most cost effective investments you can make right now in regards to your appearance is sunscreen.  

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Botox helps prevent future wrinkles

+1

I would absolutely recommend that you consider Botox.  Botox has been shown to help delay the development of wrinkles around the eyes and is very effective at doing so!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crow's feet at 29 treated with Botulinum toxin (Dysport or Botox)

+1

Using Botulinum toxin (Dysport or Botox) at 29 is an option and it is true that you will probably not need a large number of units. However, this is maintenance therapy and you will have to repeat this treatment every 4 months.