Should I Bother with a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 5'6" 128 lbs. 47 years old. Had one child and although I'm thin and my muscle tone is good, i have this wrinkly belly. It bothers me. I have looked at a lot of before and after photos, and I'm nowhere near as bad as some people that I see, so wondering if it's worth all the trouble to fix or should i just live with it. I went for 2 consults. one said full TT the other said mini. I've read that minis are not as satisfactory.

More going on here than it looks

+4

If you have back pain and stress incontinence after your child closing your midline split with a tummy tuck would help both these problems. You have a groove above your pubis and a lower midline bum deformity below your umbilicus. Your body shape is tubular and you have mild flank fat collections. A mini operation is not going to fix your lower abdominal groove and you would be surprised how much stronger you will be after repair of your muscle midline after a full abdominoplasty. Your waist should also improve. I'm not a fan of the mini operation as there are many benefits to tightening the abdominal skin in an oblique fashion, like further improving abdominal muscle strength and getting rid of back pain and stress incontinence. You need to excise half the abdominal skin to get these benefits.

Canberra Plastic Surgeon

Full Tummy Tuck for Best Outcome

+1

From your photos, you look like a great candidate for a full tummy tuck. In my experience, it is a rare patient who truly “qualifies” for a mini tuck. You have a lot of extra skin; most of it is below the navel, a requirement for a mini procedure. However, you also have some excess skin above the navel and some weakness of the abdominal wall, which a full tuck would address. Good luck with your decision!

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

+1

It depends upon the degree of result you desire. If you want a minor amount of lower abdominal tightening with very short recovery than a mini TT is the option. If you desire the flattest appearance than you would need a full TT with longer recovery. Hop that helps 

Should I Bother with a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Hi and thanks for your question

If you want the best outcome then a full tummy tuck with liposuction to contour would be my recommendation. A full tummy tuck will address the excess and lax skin and tighten your abdominal muscles to give you a good contour.

All the best

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Should I Bother with a Tummy Tuck?

+1

A short scar tummy tuck would be the better option.  The minitummy tuck will not address the skin laxity to the extent necessary.  Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and body contouring procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck

+1

Whether you need surgery or not depends on what you want.  If you want the excess skin and abdominal laxity in your photo corrected, then only a tummy tuck will correct the problem.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Post pregnancy stomach needs tummy tuck

+1

I have seen your photos.

You need full tummy tuck.  It will benefit you.  If you had been ok with your looks you would not have asked this question.  Since you have taken time and effort to ask this question from entire community of plastic surgeons, it is clear to me that you want the change. So go for it.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Full TT

+1

If you do anything you need a full tummy tuck. Don't bother with a mini , you will not be happy. Minis are for people who need a little lipo and have a small pooch. Once you have had a child, you need a full tummy tuck.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Mini tummy tuck is a lousy operation.

+1

I can almost guarantee you'll be disappointed with a mini tummy tuck. You need to have the entire abdomen resurrected which is nicely done with the full abdominoplasty.

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. Whether or not to proceed with abdominal wall contouring surgery will become a personal decision based on how much the appearance of the abdominal wall concerns you.

If you do decide to proceed with tummy tuck surgery, I would suggest a full tummy tuck operation;  it is unlikely that you will be pleased with the outcome of any lesser operation.

I hope this, and the attached link (demonstrating similar body types), help.