Can Both Repairs Be Done Together?

Is it true there are enzymes involved in the repair of umbilical hernia, with very large diastasis, at age 79 ? A surgeon in canada said it was the reason they did not do them. I need both done. I cannot walk well, as I am forced to bend over a bit, and back aches a lot. I would rather be put down than go on living with this. What a gift at this age. I may be able to scan a photo. please advise. thank you. mary d.

Hernia repair at age 79?

+1
You should involve your internist and cardiologist in the decision to have surgery.  Probably you will benefit if you are otherwise healthy, but this decision should be made carefully with your plastic surgeon who is an expert in this field. Good luck.

Diastasis Recti and Umbilical Hernia at 79 years of age

+1

Dear Mary,

I am very sorry that you are frustrated. Indeed, walking with a hunched-over posture is not pleasant at all and could play a major role causing chronic backaches.

I encourage you to seek consult with several board certified surgeons, even outside Canada if necessary.

Even at 79 years of age, I am sure that with the an extensively experienced surgeon you should be able to find a solution to rectify your problem.

However, it is hard to present solutions that will best fit your case without physical examination and medical history review.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Umbilical hernia and rectus diastasis repairs

+1

It would probably be best to consult with a another general surgeon, possibly outside of Canada.  Your medical history, and not necessarily your age, would determine if you were a good candidate for corrective surgery.

James E. Chappell, MD