Would Botex Work for Wrinkles on my Cheeks?

Botox is not for cheeks

+2

Botox is not recommended for cheeks, as it's a muscle paralyzer and this is not something you want in your cheeks! If you have lines or wrinkles there you'd most likely be a candidate for fillers - Restylane would be my preference. I use it a lot in the cheeks.

Botox for cheeks

+2

Typically Botox is not used for wrinkles on the cheeks. Wrinkles in these areas are usually due to loss of volume and therefore volume fillers such as Radiesse and/or Sculptra are usually best. Neurotoxin injections such as Botox, Dysport and Xeomin reduce wrinkles by the temporary and reversible paralysis of treated muscles. I doubt if you would like the look of having your cheek muscles frozen with Botox.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for cheek wrinkles

+2
Please post photos. If you have wrinkling in the mid cheeks, this may be a sign of loss of fat and then Radiesse or Restylane would be the more appropriate treatment. Generally Botox is used above and lateral to the eyelids or nasolabial creases and not in the cheeks per se.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+1

Photos, of your face, would help in the evaluation.  Botox does reduce lines and wrinkles but may cause the upper lip to become weak when injected into the cheek area.  Either skin rejuvenation, with peels, skin care or IPL...or perhaps shaping the cheelks with Perlane or Radiesse would give you an improved appearance.  Be sure the MD, that you choose, understands and follows the proper aesthetiocs of facial beauty.

Botox not great for cheeks

+1

Botox is not a great option for cheeks. Dermal fillers with hyaluronic acid like juvederm and restylane would make more sense and be safer and more natural looking.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Yes it works

+1

It will help the wrinkles around and under the eyes, however I would be cautious using it on the smile lines.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wrinkles of the cheeks require volume, usually not Botox

+1

Wrinkles caused along the cheeks are often due more to volume loss in the face (loss of soft tissue, fat, and even bony support).  Loss of this "cushion" causes wrinkles to be exaggerated with muscular movement.  In most cases, Botox is not appropriate as treatment of muscle groups in the cheeks with Botox could cause a "stroke-like" appearing face.  Fillers and biostimulator agents, such as Juvederm, Restylane, Sculptra, or even fat are more appropriate treatment options.  Laser resufacing may be appropriate if wrinkles are due to heavy sun damage.

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox is not used for wrinkles on the cheeks

+1

Wrinkles on cheeks are often present at rest and are related to sun damage. Some are caused by smiling.  Facial rejuvenation with lasers and filler injections are the more commonly done procedures for this indication, not Botox, which could cause relaxation of important muscles of the mouth.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox for Cheeks

+1

It is impossible to answer your question without pictures that show the exact location of your wrinkles. Wrinkles in the cheeks are most likely caused by a change in skin quality and texture or a loss of volume in the face,  neither of which are treated with Botox.

Cheek wrinkles do not respond to Botox

+1
Botox is not used for the cheeks because 1) you don't want to freeze your cheeks and be unable to smile and move your face, 2) most likely these wrinkles are deep and static and Botox does not work on that.  Your would most likely benefit from filler.  
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD