Tummy Tuck Scar Has Pulled Pubic Hair 1" Below Belly Button, Normal?

i performed my tummy tuck 3 years ago in Montreal. At first I was pleased with the results but with time realized that the doctor pulled up my pelvic region way too high up to my belly button. It looks strange, as if I dont have a lower stomach, I had to shave off a good part of my pubic hair above my genitals or else I have pubic hair growing 1 inch under my belly button which is right where my scar line is. It doesnt look anatomically correct. According to my plastic surgeon its normal...?

Tummy Tuck and Pubic Hair Line?

+2

It is certainly not “ normal” to have the pubic hair line 1 inch below the belly button after tummy tuck surgery. It is possible that the bellybutton was brought out in an area too low on the abdominal wall flap.  It may behoove you to be seen in consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in your area;  it is possible that revisionary surgery may improve your situation.

Very elevated pubic hair line following a tummy tuck

+2

In order to provide you with an appropriate answer, photos of your abdomen are mandatory. It is very possible that your hair line has been raised abnormally high but...

You should also obtain consults from one or more board certified and reputable plastic surgeons in your area who can provide you a more accurate assessment and then make recommendations.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

+2

Often when the tummy skin is stretched by pregnancies or massive weight loss, the pubic area gets stretched as well.  When I mark a tummy tuck incision, I pull up strongly on the lower tummy and pubic area and measure where I want the incision to be, as this will ark the top of the pubic hair.  I believe that this represents the ideal location for the tummy tuck scar.  However, because of this low position, sometimes the old belly button "hole" where it used to be attached, and which moves down in a full tummy tuck, cannot move down far enough to have it removed and then it is closed as a small vertical scar.

Some plastic surgeons feel that it is more important to be able to remove this old belly button hole, and rather than have a small vertical scar low on the tummy, they raise the tummy tuck scar higher so they know they can advance and cut out the old belly button hole.  Personally I think it is better to have a small vertical scar than a much higher tummy tuck scar, but there is a difference of opinion among plastic surgeons.  Anyway, if your tummy tuck scar is higher than the pubic hair, when you close under appropriate tension you pull up on the pubic hair, and if there is enough pubic mons laxity you can pull the pubic hair rather high.  It is possible that this is what occurred in your case...assuming you had a standard full tummy tuck with a scar around your belly button.

Another possibility, if your belly button has NO surrounding scar, is that you had an umbilical float procedure, and they released the belly button stalk from underneath and reattached your belly button lower in order to tighten the skin just above the belly button without the scars of a full tummy tuck.  Unfortunately, if the belly button is "floated" down too far, it looks weird. 

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Tummy Tuck Incision

+2

Without seeing before and after pictures, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  It is very unusual for the pubic area to be pulled within one inch of the belly button.  Did you have a full tummy tuck or a "mini" tummy tuck?  If the hair is your only concern, then I would suggest laser hair removal for significant hair reduction in that area.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Belly button after tummy tuck

+2

I think we need a photo to accurately assess the situation.  Sometimes pubic hair can grow somewhat high but it doesn't sound like that is the case for you.  This may be fixable with an extra scar where your belly button is now.

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Abnormal Tummy Tuck

+2

It is difficult to assess your result without pictures.   It is more likely that your belly button was placed too low, rather than the pubic area pulled too high.   A picture would help define this better.  

Paul S. Gill, MD