Botched Smartlipo..what to Do Now???

I had Smartlipo done 2 1/2 years ago. My problems include: 1. One arm has a 'dent' and then a puff of fat at the top near armpit. This arm STILL hurts after 2 1/2 years. It hurts from the dent all the way to my elbow and feels like the skin is stuck down onto the muscle. I especially have pain when I've used this arm a lot. 2. My abs are lumpy/bumpy. It looks like cellulite. 3. Doctor did not take enough from my flanks (although maybe that's good given the other problems).

Lumps After Smartlipo

+2

A bump after smartlipo can be corrected, but it is a challenge to correct this problem. It is avoided in most cases by using smaller 3mm cannulas during liposuction. Once these complications occur, fat grafting is the best technique to try to correct the problem. The pain you are experiencing is more difficult to explain but could be due to scarring of the muscle or a nerve in the area. Consult with the liposuction surgeon in your area with the most experience for the best results.

Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

May need fat grafting for revision

+2
The bad results are not limited to laser lipo and does happen with all procedure and depends on the surgeons experience and and patients expectations. You need to get a consultation with a plastic surgeon who familiar with fat grafting.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Botched Smart Lipo

+2

Although the appearance of dents or bumps can be the result of an inexperienced provider of liposuction, it can also be related to the use of the wrong cannulas, usually larger cannulas. A dent is most likely from overzealous removal of fat and a bump is from not enough fat being removed from a certain area. The lumpiness associated with liposuction after one year post-op can be only improved through seeking the advice of an experienced liposuction surgeon who is well-versed in both traditional tumescent liposuction as well as laser liposuction. Dents are notoriously hard to fix after liposuction. Treatment options include fat transfer, fillers, VelaShape, and THermage.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Botched Smartlipo..what to Do Now???

+2

Sorry for the "botched" result. As an expert in Smart Lipo I can only recommend in person evaluations with boarded PSs in your area. To me you need fat transfer and re lipo of the areas. Best of luck. It does demonstrate it is not the technology but the experience of the medical/surgical provider. 

SmartLipo Dents and bumps

+1

Those patients who have dents after liposuction might benefit from fat injections done in these areas to lift them.  For those who have lumps, additional focal liposuction with small cannulae may flatten the areas.  Pain after liposuction has to be evaluated in person by an expert to see if there is local scarring or nerve problems. Sometimes the latter can occur, no fault of the surgeon, and is a risk of liposuction that I discuss with all patients before they consent to having liposuction.

Ronald Shelton, MD