Did I Get a Botched Breast Lift and Augmentation?

I had breast lift and augmentation surgery 11 weeks ago. As pictured my left implant has dropped below where the crease line should/will be, while my right implant has not fully dropped. My surgeon says that in 6-9 mo. post op my breast will look great naked. Right now I still look like a freak. How do you know when revision surgery is necessary & should I trust the same surgeon to do the surgery? He is board certified, 30 yrs exp. & refered by my OBGYN. Also attached before photo.

Mastopexy Augmentation: Too much lift with too much implant

+6

Mastopexy augmentation or breast lift in combination with an implant is a technically difficult operation with many counteracting forces which need to be offset by internal breast support and precise skin excision. It appears that you have none of these from your photos, in that a vertical type lift with "bunching" was utilized which I find sloppy and imprecise, and your implants have dropped, which is indicative of limited internal support placed on the breast implant. I would argue that this will not look awesome in 9 months or 9 years.  

+5

Regarding: "Did I Get a Botched Breast Lift and Augmentation?
I had breast lift and augmentation surgery 11 weeks ago. As pictured my left implant has dropped below where the crease line should/will be, while my right implant has not fully dropped. My surgeon says that in 6-9 mo. post op my breast will look great naked. Right now I still look like a freak. How do you know when revision surgery is necessary & should I trust the same surgeon to do the surgery? He is board certified, 30 yrs exp. & refered by my OBGYN. Also attached before photo
."

I am truly sorry for you. After spending so much money and emotions, no one wants the result you have and you are right to feel disappointed.

A few comments. When you say your surgeon was "board certified", was it by The American Board of Plastic Surgery (wwwabplsurgorg)? If not - it does NOT make a difference if he was certified as a Neurosurgeon (doubtful) or a Family Practice doctor - you were operated on by a non-plastic surgeon. (Please see the link below to fully understand the scope of the "Board Certified" problem). Moreover, a 30 year experience is nice IF it is kept current and continues producing good results. Even the best of us begin to falter as we get older.

While your breasts MAY look better in a few months, I am very bothered by your surgeon's comment that :"in 6-9 mo. post op my breast will look great naked". That suggests either inexperience or lack of judgment on his part. While I hope he is right, in my opinion, that will NOT be the case. In my opinion, based on the way your breasts look now, they will unfortunately never look great.

To have a chance at looking much better, I would wait until 4 to 6 months after surgery and then undergo a revision procedure in which the excess breast skin at the bottom of the breast was removed, the areolae were placed where they SHOULD be in a youthful breast and the implants were placed right behind them.

You may want to obtain a t least another second opinion. Start by checking The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (wwwplasticsurgeryorg)

Dr. Peter Aldea

Non-ideal results following a mastopexy with augmentation

+4

These results at 11 weeks are not ideal and no amount of additional time will fully correct the problems. The left breast implant is too low compared to the right side and the vertical distance to the nipple is too long, partially related to the vertical only approach mastopexy. Without an examination which would be more accurate, it appears that the implant on the right side was not placed low enough; that is, the pocket wasn't dissected low enough. Therefore, this will not "drop".

You will definitely need a revision but may need to wait a few more months for swelling to subside further. I suggest that you week second opinions and then make a decision.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast Lift Problems

+3

I perform only the vertical breast lifts, often with implants.  I often see very unattractive wrinkling and asymmetry and will give this 3 months to settle.  By then nearly all look 100% better and revisions are rare. It is time to get a few opinions on your condition.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Unfavorable early breast lift and aug

+3

You are nearly 3 months out now.

I see asymmetry in the implants, nipple position, lower pole of the breast, size, shape, imf positioning. bottoming out is more evident on raising the arms, and I question if the implant diameter is adequate.

I don't know if your implants are above or below the muscle, This may make a difference if the lower pole constriction relaxes or how much it relaxes.  I don't like the scars at this point, and I don't like the areolas at this point.

This is a vertical scar technique which I don't use.

My prediction is that you will very likely need a revision of this procedure.  I think both breasts will need to be addressed.  You may need larger implants as well.

I would recommend that you talk to the initial doctor, and also get a second opinion.

Only time will tell for sure, but I would prepare myself for the eventuality of another procedure.

Best.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast lift gone wrong

+3

After one to two weeks your breasts should look good after a breast lift with implants. Certainly, more time will allow the skin envelope and implant to work in together. However, is seems unlikely that more time will solve the situation you are in. I think your idea of a second opinion is a good one.

peterejohnsonmd

Questions about breast lift and augmentation result

+3

You don't look like any patient I have ever done and I do agree that you should be concerned about where you are right now.  Time will tell but it is hard for me to imagine that you won't need a revision.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation/Mastopexy Results?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I'm sorry to hear about the less than satisfactory experience you have had. Based on your pictures, I'm sure that revisionary surgery will be helpful. When the time is right to your due diligence carefully  in the selection of a plastic surgeon  who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients like yourself.

Did I get a botched breast lift and augmentation?

+2

There is no question that this did not turn out well, and although it is said that it can take months for a vertical lift to settle out and look good, if your result ends up looking good in 6 months or even 6 years, then I do not know anything about plastic surgery.  You will definitely need a revision, and maybe more than one.  It is truly unfortunate that you have to go through this.  Echoing what others have said, if your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and can show you photos of other similar cases of his patients who started out similar to you preoperatively, had a vertical lift and implants, and ended up looking good in your opinion, then perhaps this just represents an isolated problem in your case and perhaps he is qualified to fix it.  If the answer is no to any of the above, then you should look elsewhere for help even if financially it is less favorable to do so.  Unfortunately, it is always possible that a properly board-certified plastic surgeon tries a new technique, or at least new to them, and things go bad.  Wait 6 months for the tissues to relax and become less scarred and stiff before undergoing a revision.  Get second and third opinions.  Good luck, and at least take comfort in the fact that there are few things that can't be fixed, though it may take more than one revision and some expense.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Revision Breast Surgery in Las Vegas

+2

I perform numerous primary breast lifts with augmentation and also revise many surgeries done elswhere that have gone awry.  The vertical breast lift is a wonderful procedure in experienced hands.  Unfortunately,  there is little doubt that you will need a revision - your picture from the front with your arms down demonstrates extreme nipple/areolar asymmertry and pocket assymetry.  Before letting the same surgeon operate - ask him to see before and afters of other patients in which he performed this procedure and obtained a good outcome (one in which you would be pleased).  If he can't do this,  go to someone who can.  Do not take the revision suregry lightly - it is going to be more difficult than the original surgery should have been and needs to be performed by a very experienced breast surgeon.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD