Tissue separated after Labiaplasty stitches removal and labia cut up in many pieces. What can I do? (photos)

Hi, day 21 post-op, I had all my stitches removed today, but the results are not what I expected at all. I don;t know if the stitches were too tight, but where they were, the flesh is sliced and I am not left with one healthy looking labia, but with one cut up in 10-12 pieces. My doctor said they would probably grow back together, but it doesn't look that way to me, because the gaps between the flesh are very deep and everything looks already healed. Could you please advise me on what to do?

Trim techniques

+2
seem to cause more healing issues as you will see most of the 'problem' labia reductions come from that technique but that seems to be the preferred technique of the GYN's.  As Dr. Alter mentions, you really have no choice at this time except to let it heal.  Some of the irregularities will diminish with time and once you are considered healed (6 months after procedure), an exam will show what is still problematic and options for addressing this presented for your decision.  You should also investigate what your surgeon's revision policy is, just in case you need it.

Tissue separated after labiaplasty

+2
I reviewed your photos.  You had a trimming labiaplasty, and the sutures cause scalloping and bumps. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. I probably would recommend clitoral hood flaps to reconstruct your labia if your surgeon left enough remaining clitoral hood. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Early results after Labiaplasty

+1

Your results appear to be very early.  I would give this some time to settle down. It takes a minimum of about 3 months to start seeing full results and scars can mature over about 6 months.

If you are still unsure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Bumps on lips

+1
Thank you for your question. It appears you had the classic technique or trim procedure done. At this time, you are still in the healing process. I would not recommend any revisional surgery until 6 months post surgery. Over the 6 months, some or all of the bumps may settle out. If you are still unhappy with the results, I would recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgery who has experience with various techniques in labiaplasty. He/she may be able to revise the labia to your liking. 

Johnny Shea-Yuan Chung, MD, FACS
Allentown Plastic Surgeon