Tummy Tuck with Lipo or Without? (photo)

One surgeon says lipo to the hips with a full tuck & the other says no lipo as it will result in lose skin. But I don't want to have disproportionate hips especially with a tummy tuck . Which would be best?

Liposuction with an abdominoplasty

+2

After your skin is tightened with your abdominioplasty you will most likely benefit from liposuction of the posterior hips.  An exam would be necessary to tell if liposuction is needed for certain.  

Tummy tuck with or without liposuction

+2

Based upon the one image you have provided, I think there is enough fullness in the hips that you may wind up with worse proportions if nothing is done to address this along with a tummy tuck.  If you don't want to consider liposuction to simply reduce the bulk, or if you wish to address the laxity of tissues on the hips (not just skin but subcutaneous) and create lifting of the lateral thighs and buttocks, you may also wish to consider a circumferential procedure like a belt lipectomy or lower body lift.  This would be an appropriate operation for someone with your body features, and you can't hide from the fact that the hips will remain unaddressed by tummy tuck alone.  If that is OK with you, then fine, do just the tummy tuck, but if you want to have a more coordinated appearance to your torso, hips, and thighs, then given your particular physical features and tissues, you may well need to consider a more extensive body contouring operation.  That's OK, that's why they were designed - to provide optimal results when needed.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Tummy Tuck with Lipo or Without?

+2

You do appear to have residual adiposity in the hips.  Liposuction may be the best option.  A physical exam will be able to better determine the appropriateness of one procedure over another.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy Tuck With Or Without Liposuction

+2

Based on the photo, you appear to be a candidate for a Tummy Tuck with minor Liposuction of the hips.  To make the determination, an exam will be needed.  Discuss your options with your Plastic Surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Tummy Tuck with Lipo or Without?

+2

An actual exam is, as always, more useful than photos. 

I would favor treating the hips. It may be that some excess skin could be resected by extending the TT incision further back than is customary--though this is what I really can't tell based on the one photo. 

I agree that a slender abdomen will look out of proportion with the wide hips. All the best. 

Thigh lift for significant weight loss

+1

The photo indicates you have lost a significant amount of weight.  Congratulations.  However, this would suggest the skin on your hips and lateral thighs already is loose.   I would expect the skin on your lateral thighs is much looser than you would prefer.  Liposuction certainly would not tighten any skin.  It would however empty the bag (skin) of its contents (fat).  Since each hip forms a concave curve, doing such would certainly loosen the skin to some extent.  On the other hand, surgically excising primarily skin and some fat from your hips would remove the bulk from your hips and tighten and smoothen the skin on your lateral thighs, thus"killing two birds with one stone."   A good plastic surgeon would be able to hide the scars inside your bikini line.   Therefore, I would suggest, in addition to your tummy tuck, a lateral thigh lift. 

Vincent J. Perrotta, MD
Salisbury Plastic Surgeon

Lipo and Tummy Tuck

+1

Thanks for the photo. I would perform the tummy tuck and modest liposuction of your hips.  Your exam will be the determining factor whether you develop loose skin or not.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tummy tuck

+1

i cant see your hips. In your photos it looks like you have hanging skin and you are relatively thin. Most thin patients like you dont need lipo 

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Liposuction with Tummy Tuck

+1

You would need an in-person evaluation to determine what the best procedure for you would be.  With only one picture, it really is hard to tell.  However, it looks like you have considerable loose skin and tummy tuck is certainly going to make a nice difference.

Good Luck with your procedure.

David Shafer, MD

Lipo or no lipo with tummy tuck

+1

From the picture provided, there seems to be significant fullness in the lower hip area. This could be fat, or it might be extra skin. If it is skin, a circumferential body lift may be necessary to adequately correct this area. If it is fat, then liposuction of the hip areas may help. Only be examining you would a plastic surgeon be able to tell. It does appear from the picture that the contour problem in the hip area needs to be addressed.

Brian D. Kent, MD
Tulsa Plastic Surgeon