Could I still have swelling from Rhinoplasty after 6 months? Unhappy with result... (Photos)

Septoplasty-rhinoplasty 6 months ago to correct a crooked nose, bump in bridge, tip refinement and turbinate reduction. After 6 months I am very unhappy with the results (except for my profile) due to the bulbous tip, extremely crooked bridge and uneven nostrils. Could any of this still be swelling? Am I being hypercritical? I am disappointed it looks nothing like the initial photo-manipulation. Are there any options to fix the large bump on the side of the bridge without major surgery?

You are still healing

+1
You should talk to your surgeon.  I believe that it takes 18 months for the swelling in the tip to stabilize.  Some changes even continue for 4 or more years. Only your surgeon knows what was done to the tip and what to expect in terms of healing.  Follow his/her lead on this.  You need patience with this operation, and the actual result never looks exactly like the morphed images.  The morphed images are just a planning tool.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

6 Months Post-Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

I can see why your unhappy. At this point, I dont think it will get any better. It looks like you have a deviated nasal bridge and some residual bulbosity. To fix this properly, you will probably need a revision.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Could I still have swelling from Rhinoplasty after 6 months? Unhappy with result...

+1

I would not be too eager to do anything at this point.  The tip may improve a great deal in another 6 months.  The bridge may only require a little rasping through a closed rhinoplasty approach at that time.

+1
There is still a small amount of swelling at 6 months, usually about 10-15 percent or so on average.  If you are dissatisfied with the result, you can consider a revision, but you must wait at least one year.  One option you might consider is off label use of dermal fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane to help improve any contour irregularities.  They are temporary of course and must be repeated every year or so.   Just make sure whoever is administering them has experience with giving them in the nose.  Best of luck.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Crooked Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

Your 6 months photos demonstrate significant asymmetries of your nose. Although healing is not final, I would be surprised if things would improve over the next 6 months; rather, things could get a little more imbalanced. 

I would see your rhinoplasty surgeon and learn about his assessment and recommendations.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

revision rhinoplasty for crooked nose

+1

Revision rhinoplasty for the crooked nose involves medial and lateral osteotomies of the nasal bones when the bones themselves are crooked. When the mid third of the nose is crooked in the upper lateral cartilage area, spreader grafts are placed on the concave side to make the nose looked more symmetrical.  Those cartilage grafts are harvested from the internal portion of the nose. Any small irregularity or hump across the bridge line can be filed down. At 6 months there is still a mild amount of swelling in the bridge one so best to wait a year before any revision rhinoplasty procedure

Crooked

+1
I agree with Dr. Peck your nose is crooked on the photos you submitted and not like the photo simulation of a final result. I would go back to my PS and ask him what his recommendations are. (You do a great job though with makeup) Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Crooked Nose

+1
I agree with your assessment;your nose is crooked. At 6 months post op, most of the swelling has resolved.
Ideally, you should wait one year before a revision but it could be performed sooner. Consult your Plastic Surgeon.

If necessary, seek a second opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience with revision rhinoplasties.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon