I have a lot of pain after otoplasty. Is this normal?

I had an otoplasty procedure done last Wednesday, and I am still in a lot of pain. I am in the most pain while wearing my sports headband around my ears. My surgeon wants me to wear the headband 24/7 for two weeks. It hurts a lot, and when I finally remove it to clean my ears (twice a day) or shower, my ears pulse with pain, almost like I can feel my heartbeat in my ears. It is just a constant throbbing pulse. The pain goes away about an hour after removing the headband.

Ear pain after otoplasty

+1
If the pain goes away after you take off your band, maybe it is too tight and a somewhat looser band that still supports your ears would suffice.  Ask your surgeon for input.

Worcester Plastic Surgeon

+1
Pain is part of the normal post-operative process of an otoplasty. Just to be on the safe side, you should, however, have your ears examined by your surgeon to rule out the possibility of an infection.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

Pain

+1
Three possibilities. 1- Normal post operative pain  2 - Headband too tight   3 - Hematoma (bleeding under the skin

You need to see your surgeon for a correct diagnosis and recommendation. And I would not wait if you are having that much discomfort this long after surgery.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD