Do I qualify for breast reconstructive surgery? (photo)

I'm 19 years old, and I've pretty much always been embarrassed about my breasts, as they appear saggy and droopy to me, while one is a D cup while one is practically a B. I don't know if I qualify for breast lift/reduction surgery, or if my parents would even consider the idea, so I guess my question is, is it worth it to go in for a consultation to see if I can qualify for the procedure/if my insurance would be willing to consider it as well, or not?

Cosmetic Breast Asymmetry Correction Willl Not Qualify For Insurance

+4

Thank you for your email. First let me say that you have very pretty normal looking breasts.

Please understand that although you have a slight asymmetry or difference in size it is perfectly normal. I have been a plastic surgeon for 31 years I have never seen any woman who had perfectly symmetrical breasts it just does not happen.

The scarring involved in doing a dermal mastopexy to achieve symmetry will seriously detract from the normal youthful attractive appearance that you have currently. Please do not be embarrassed of your breasts.

I canassure you that insurance will not cover any procedure that is done to alter your natural normal breasts and believe you will be unhappy with scarring.

Do I qualify for breast reconstructive surgery?

+1

Based upon your posted series of photos, which are the correct way to post them!, YOU ARE NOT A CANDIDATE for health insurance coverage for cosmetic surgery on your breasts...

Breast asymmetry

+1
Thanks for your question and photos. Keep in mind that no two breasts are ever exactly the same. They are sisters and not twins. That being said, it would be possible to do a small reduction to the left side but I do not feel that it would be worth the scarring or cost. Best of luck!

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

+1

Certainly a small reduction on the large breast could help improve the asymmetry. It is best to be seen in person, but this is a cosmetic case not considered covered by insurance.

Qualifying for breast reconstruction

+1

I assume by "qualifying" you mean insurance coverage. Insurance almost never covers any cosmetic related procedures. They do cover problems tghat cause symptoms occassionally and under specific circumstances.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Asymmtric breasts

+1

Your breast are asymmetric. I think the small side is quite pretty, so i would reduce and tighten the larger to match. Once you have symmetric pretty breasts, you could have an augmentation, to fill the upper aspect aliitle, and make them both C cups. Nothing crazy, just prettier.

Insurance may pay for reducing the larger, but certainly will not pay for the augmentation

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

+1

Unfortunately insurance does not cover these types (or worse) of surgeries. They are not considered medically necessary. When addressing the appearance of your breasts it is considered strictly cosmetic in nature. I would consult with a surgeon who specializes in all breast surgery.

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Reconstructive vs cosmetic breast surgery

+1

All breasts have differences between them. i.e, "breasts are sisters and not twins". I would do a cosmetic breast lift with small moderate profile silicone implants of slightly different volumes to help off set your asymmetry. But no insurance company would pay for you to have "breast reconstruction". Recostructive surgery is after mastectomy, lumpectomy for cancer or Polands syndrome, etc. good luck

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon