Lip allergic reaction to Emla, Botox (one week ago) or Restylane (11 mths ago). Swelling subsided today but what is it? (Photo)

further to my post this morn with a swollen bump on on side of my lip, I woke up this morning and my lips upper mostly were 5x regular size and the skin above swollen like a duck. see pics. forget to mention I had Botox in my lip lines exactly one week ago. The restylane was 11 mths ago. the swelling subsided today but whst is this?

Bump on lip

+2
While you can have a reaction to topical numbing cream it usually causes redness and heat and itching, not just a bump. What I think from your photos is that you have a herpetic outbreak and need some antivirals (Acyclovir, Valtrex, etc.). Seek an in-person consultation.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Lip Swelling Post Filler Treatment

+2
I agree with what has been said, it is rare to have a true "allergy" from topical EMLA to your lips and/or HA type fillers.  Although I have seen it once in 8 years, I agree there maybe a herpes outbreak and oral valtrex and topical zovirax with a topical corticosteroid would be very helpful.  I say if swelling or pain persists more than a few days after lip injections without any bruising, then you should have the filler reversed with hyaluronidase.  Seek advice from your treating physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip swelling after Botox

+1
Your photos suggest that you have a herpes outbreak (cold sores) on your lips.
These are very common - and typically cause swelling, dryness, discomfort or pain and, often, a visible blister.
A detailed exam and history would be needed.

Treatment is time - as happened in your case - or the anti-viral medicine, Valtrex.
Assuming this is what you have, you should have preventive Valtrex before any future lip treatments. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD