I am getting an otoplasty operation done on both of my ears this Wednesday. I have a question about the recovery time.

I have been recruited to run in college, so my training is very important and necessary. How long after the operation would I need to rest, before I could begin running?

+1
Hello and thanks for your question.
Otoplasty has one of the highest level of patient satisfaction.
In our office we give detailed verbal and extensive written instruction for quickest recovery.
Please discuss the post operative and recovery question with your surgeon as he knows what was done and what to do to assure the best healing and recovery for you.
Best wishes
Dr Sajjadian

Otoplasty recovery

+1
Please discuss this with your surgeon.

Generally, patients can resume basic exercises, such as running, a couple weeks after otoplasty.

Best wishes and good luck in college.

Timothy Connall, MD

Recovery

+1
I have always asked my patients to refrain from straining and running for 12-14 days after surgery and have never had a complication related to this advice. Your surgeon is the best person to advise you on this.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

I have a question about the recovery time.

+1
It depends on which method you had your ears pinned with. If it was with the stitch method, you can already play sports (including running) the first day after the operation. The only exceptions would be swimming and diving, when both would first be possible 4 to 5 weeks after the operation. If you had the operation with the traditional method, then you would have to take a break for some time before playing any sport. You would then have to ask your surgeon about the length of time to wait, as only he knows which of the various possible traditional methods he used in your case. You should essentially not participate in any professional wrestling after an otoplasty, regardless of the method with which you were operated on.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty recovery time

+1
The main concern after otoplasty would be contact with the ear which could affect the healing process and exercise causing potential bleeding.  Since running is not a contact sport, there should be no issue with the contact aspect.  The length of time to refrain from exercise after surgery will vary by surgeon, so you should speak with your surgeon to get the best answer.  It is possible you might be able to do light exercise as soon as a week after the procedure and running within a couple of weeks.  Again, speak to your own surgeon and follow his or her instructions.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon