Suggestions For Improving Appearance, Any Hope for This Nose?

I am hoping to get some advice on possible improvements in the appearance of my nose.The pics are included, they are a few years old, but my nose has not changed in the meantime. I am mainly unhappy with the frontal appearance, and the bulbous tip. I do have a slight deviation of the septum, but my ENT says that is not an issue (although I do have restricted airflow in that side of the nose). Can anything be done, without compromising functionality of the nose, or even making it look even worse?

Noses aren't always as bad as you think

+3

A bulbous tip in a person with fairly thin skin and an already attractive face can often be improved along with functional septoplasty. You fit just that description. Computer imaging helps a lot in visualizing potential results as well. Rhinoplasty should not compromise function and when combined with septoplasty should actually improve breathing.

Yes, improvment is possible.

+2

You have very nice facial features, great cheekbones and skin;  and I agree probably all your nose needs is more definition to the tip.  The so-called "bulbous" tip in your case is probably mostly due large tip cartilages.  Sometimes it is also due to thick skin, but I would need to actually see your nose in person to ascertain that. The tip of the nose can be reshaped to make the tip thinner and, even more importantly, to have more definition.  With live computer imaging of properly positioned images, I would be able to get a better idea of how the rest of your nose looks. I have taken the liberty of attaching a link below for you to examine.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Easily!

+2

This is a pretty simple correction and one of the options can be worked out with computer imaging. I'd use an open approach to expose the tip and sculpt away the excess cartilage on the upper half of your lower lateral (tip) cartilages, then narrow and define the tip with suture techniques done carefully so as not to over rotate your tip. While the pictures are not ideal to say for sure, your nose could be a little over-projecting and with computer imaging you could preview the option of decreasing the projection of your tip, done by dividing the lateral crurae and letting the tip fall back a bit (like pushing in a telescope).The new cartilage position is then made stable with sutures. I hope that I described that in an understandable way but yes, based on the pictures, you should be able to have a beautiful nose with only work on the lower cartilages, called a tip rhinoplasty. These rarely have any effect on function.

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Improving Nasal Appearance

+2

The bulbous tip can be narrowed and the contour improved, the profile reduced, the deviation corrected , and breathing improved. A well planned operation should include improvement in nasal function. Seek an experienced surgeon who will give you a natural result.

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip

+2

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip involves suturing  the tip cartilages together, and usually  a conservative removal of tip cartilage. Other minor adjustments to the nose could also be performed to make sure the nose balances with itself  and your facial features. Please see the link below for examples  of bulbous tips we have repaired in our practice

Nasal tip refinement and a rhinoplasty

+2

You do appear to have a bulbous nasal tip and a rhinoplasty will certainly improve your appearance.  It is important for you to pick a surgeon who can actively communicate with you  concerning your desires and expectations.  3D computer imaging is especially helpful in educating both the patient and the surgeon when it comes to expectations and goals.  A skilled plastic surgeon will be able to show you what can and what can not be accomplished. 

+2

An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to deliver a great result for you.  I recommend having a consultation and discussing your goals and the ideal results that you would like.  Photo imaging can be done to give you an idea of what your results should be.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Suggestions for nose shaping

+2

From the photos, you would probably be a good candidate for rhinoplasty.  You have thin skin and it looks like the issue with your tip is convex tip cartilages.  This could be improved with rhinoplasty using conservative techniques to shape the cartilage.  In general, rhinoplasty should not make your breathing worse.  If it does, it probably means that a functional issue has been ignored or not corrected completely.  So, assuming you go to a good surgeon that knows how to treat the nose inside and out, you should not worry about your breathing being an issue after surgery. 

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

You might wish to consider a tip rhinoplasty to improve the nasal tip area. Best to see a few boarded surgeons in your area. 

Hope for your nose

+2

Tip refinement is certainly an option and a well experienced plastic surgeon should be able to see you through without loss of your airway. Computer imaging can help you understand the changes to get things just right.