Anything I Can Help Do to Help Speed Up a Hematoma?

I have been diagnosed with a hematoma. I am currently 10 days post op. As of day 9 he is taking the wait and see approach but is there anything I can do in the meantime to help the situation? Should I be wearing a sports bra or not (they did not have me in one initially just a front clasp bra), should I ice or heat? I currently have enough drainage I am wearing a surgical gauze to keep from bleeding on my bra. Also area of hardness is now around 3" long and seems to be expanding as of today

Hematoma following breast augmentation

+2

I think the best course of action for you would be a return to the operating room to remove the hematoma and irrigate the pocket.  Otherwise, you have a greatly increased risk of developing other problems later on, such as capsular contracture, distortion of the breasts, etc.

A Hematoma Like This Is A Surgical Emergency

+1

Thank you for your question. A hematoma like the one shown in the photo appears significant. It should be drained, the pocket cleansed, bleeding stopped and a new implant inserted if tissues are healthy enough to close. If tissues are damaged best to leave implant out, wait for healing, and place new implant after 6 months.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Hematomas and implants

+1

are not a great combination and if your breast is obviously larger then your opposite, uninvolved breast or if your pain is worsening, I do not take the 'wait and see' approach and you would require a return to the OR.  If your breasts are near even in size and you just have some bruising in the skin, wait and see is perfectly fine.  Wishing you the best.

Curtis Wong, MD

Hematoma

+1

A Hematoma of that size of the exhibit on your photograph is a medical emergency you should have that hematoma drainage soon as you can.

William J. Welsh, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Is one breast much larger than the other? If yes only operative drainage will correct this issue. Better frontal photos would help us determine the size of the hematoma. 

Hematoma post breast augmentation

+1

Some surgeons take a wait and see approach to smaller, non-expanding hematomas. I prefer to wash the blood out as I think the recovery time is lessened, and the chance of capsular contracture developing is reduced. Ask your surgeon about the benefits and down sides to each approach. Once bleeding has occurred, I don't believe there is anything you can do personally to speed the resolution.

Patti A. Flint, MD

What to do about a hematoma in a breast 10 days after surgery?

+1

In my opinion after 40 years of inserting breast implants is to open it up and evacuate the hematoma in surgery. Anything else will cause prolonged recovery and a capsule contracture at a later day. It's a lot of trouble, but it has to be done.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon