For a neck lift, I'm assuming that I should do weight loss first? (photo)

I'm 63. I can't help but wonder if looking my age is hurting my employment. I have loose skin under the neck with some "wattle" fat, which may disappear when I go from 198 to 178lbs over the next three months. I don't like the "jowls" that are forming either. I'm assuming that I should lose the weight first? I'm between jobs and once working it will be difficult to get two weeks off for recovery.

For a neck lift, I'm assuming that I should do weight loss first.

+1
There are several factors which contribute to neck laxity: skin changes with loss of elasticity, muscle changes and fatty deposits. A 20 pound weight loss will not guarantee an improvement in the appearance of your neck. Most likely a neck lift would be your best option.

Reston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Always lose weight before not after neck and facelift

+1
Your absolutely correct in that you want to lose weight that you planned to lose before having your neck or facelift.  I have seen weight loss of even 5 or 10 pounds adversely effect neck lift in facelift results.  As the fat beneath the skin dissolves the skin of the face and neck becomes loose.  Follow your as astute reasoning.

That said, a neck lift in facelift by an expert board certified plastic surgeon should give you an excellent result.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

For a neck lift, I'm assuming that I should do weight loss first?

+1
Yes, losing weight prior to your procedure would be beneficial.  It's important to make sure that you are at a stable weight that is realistic for you to maintain with your lifestyle, otherwise you may just undo your results.  With that said, when you go see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation, consider a lower face and neck lift as they typically go hand in hand and compliment eachother by giving you the most optimal results.  The lower face lift will address your jowls and give you a nice clean jawline and the neck portion of your procedure will remove and tighten the loose neck skin.  If your neck muscles need tightening, that can be done at the same time for an overall refreshed appearance.  Take your time to find the right surgeon for you and understand where your incisions will be and make sure your weight is stable.  Best of luck! ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Perhaps

+1
I would have to evaluate you in person to be sure, but it does not look like you have excessive fat in your neck.  What is more important is that you be at a stable weight.  Do you think you can maintain 178 lbs? The worst outcome is when you loose weight after a neck lift or facelift.  By the way, you may look better overall with a full lower facelift and not just a necklift.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift

+1
Losing weight to be at an optimal health is always a great goal. Diet and exercise is beneficial for overall longevity and health. Being healthy will also help out from the recovery process from any surgery. I do not feel that a weight loss of 20 pounds will make a difference in terms of your results. Although it is best to be at your ideal body weight for 3 months or more prior to surgery, it really takes a weight loss of 30 to 50 or more pounds to delay a cosmetic procedure for possible outcome differences. From your picture you would have a great outcome from a combined face and neck lift. Congratulations of the upcoming weight  loss and general health upkeep. Best wishes.

Matthew G. Stanwix, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss and Neck Lift

+1
Ideally for any procedure you should be at your ideal body weight.  However, on reviewing your photographs you do not seem to have significant issues related to weight in the appearance of your face and neck.  You will need both a face and neck lift to address your concerns.

Michael Sundine, MD

Weight loss before neck lift

+1
I don't see any need for weight reduction if you are only looking for a neck lift and not a facelift. However, for your case, I believe you will benefit more from "Extended Neck Contouring" in which liposuction is done in combination with platysmal band removal, and removal of the excess skin. Your jowl area will also significantly improve with this technique.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss before Facelift or Neck Lift

+1
Before undergoing a facelift or neck lift, it is always better to lose weight first since, if you do so after the procedure, you could have some loose skin when the fat that was there is no longer supporting the skin. If, because of your schedule, you cannot lose the weight before surgery, there are some ways that an experienced surgeon can do the procedure so the effects of further weight loss is minimized. Make sure you choose a surgeon who is significantly experienced in facial rejuvenation. See also TodaysFacelift.com for further information.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Should I lose weight before a neck lift procedure?

+1
If you are planning on losing 20 pounds or less, I don't really find that there is much benefit in waiting. If you are planning on losing more than 20 pounds I recommend that you undertake your weight loss endeavor first and then evaluate your needs once you have achieved your goal. Congratulations on your resolve to lose weight!

Todd C. Miller, MD