Can I Use a Different Compression Garment Than What my Doc Gave Me?

I am 1week PO TT. The wrap around garment I was given rides up over my(small) breasts and leaves my incision exposed. I have a pair of high waisted control briefs that are super tight. Is there any harm using them? Shouldn't the incision area be compressed too?

Garments after Plastic Surgery of the Abdomen

+3

Take your garment in and show your surgeon.  You may have found the golden garment.  I have found many many garments patient bring to me are just absolutely excellent....superb.   So I let them switch.  I incorporate many patient found garments into my regimen.   THESE MIRACLE GARMENT OF GREAT DESIGN AND VERY COMPETITIVE COST ARE AS FOLLOWS.  COSTCO HAS A GREAT LINE OF MAIDENFORM FROM SMALL TO 2X AND IS similar to  NORDSTROM'S BUT AT LOWER COST.   WALMART has a wonderful line of garments called CUPID and BARELY THERE.  Nordstrom has a spectacular line of Madenform and others and if you go to Nordstrom's RACK you get them for around $20.    I have gone to Nordstroms and spent over $4000  for their wonderful garments  at one setting and cleaned them out that day,  I had a similar event at Walmart for over $3000.  The Walmart clerk asked what in the world I planned for all the garments and I told her.  She became a wonderful tummy tuck and liposuction patient.    I might add that patients have made me aware of this gold mine.   Don't over look Sears and Penny's also.   Get acquainted with your local stores.  These garments are wonderful and all range around 15 to 25 $.    You can easily give out second and third and forth  garments as the patient shrinks.    I do usually use the official liposuction garments at the time of surgery but afterward we move to the above mentioned gems.  These were all found by patients.  If you would like exact names and prices and how to order just give my office a call or email.   And remember patients found all these garments.   I always say that my patients all become my ultimate professors.   Thank you wonderful patients.   My Best,  Dr C.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Post op tummy tuck compression garments

+2

Hi FitChick45

Firstly it sounds as though your compression garment from your surgeon fits poorly and will not be doing the job well. For a tummy tuck alone, I recommend compression from your pubic bone (pelvis) up to the lower aspect of your breasts. The incision line is included in the area of compression.

Using your high waisted control briefs at the moment will be OK, but I would caution against just swapping the garments without discussing it with your surgeon. Make an appointment to discuss the issues with your surgeon and bring your control briefs with you.

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment

+2

The use and type of compression garment is decided by the Plastic Surgeon.  Discuss this with your surgeon for your best result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

New garment after surgery

+2

Discuss the subject with your surgeon before using any new garment to insure it is not harmful to your recovery.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

What is an adequate post-op garment?

+2

Yours is not working and you should discuss this with your surgeon for what he/she would advise.

Curtis Wong, MD

Post op garment after an abdominoplasty

+2

Sounds like the garment that you have does not fit you very well.  Your choice would be to use a tight fitting garment or ask your plastic surgeon for suggestions for a better fitting garment.  The garment usually helps with your mobility if not you may just stop wearing it if it is uncomfortable.  

+2

Your suggestion sounds good, though I would give a call to your surgeon to keep him/her in the loop. All the best. 

Using a different compression garment

+2

You can certainly use another garment if the one provided does not fit correctly. However, from your own description, I am not sure that "super tight" slimming panties will fit the bill.  See your doctor in followup and show him what you already have.  He may have another pair available that will be more appropriate.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Garment Discomfort

+2

I would recommend discussing and showing your concerns to your plastic surgeon first.   The garment is meant to provide compression to minimize swelling and to provide a crutch to the muscle repair, such that it does not loosen.  

In many cases the garment can be altered in the office or a different size ordered.   Again, best to check with your surgeon first.   

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Garment Use after Tummy Tuck?

+2

Your “different compression garment” will likely be just fine but best to check with your plastic surgeon, as opposed to online consultants. Remember, that he/she knows exactly what was done  and is ultimately responsible for your care.