Born with a Droopy Eyelid. Age 15, What Are My Options?

I just turned 15. I was born with my right eye droopy because before and after i was born i had my right arm covering my right eye all the time. My right eyelid is really weak. It has never bugged me before but now as i get older i just cant lool people in the eyes because it feels uncomftarble when they notice my weak eyelid. Is surgery the only way? If so how much is the cost for one droopy eylid repair? I know its stright but its only the eylid which is really down .

Droopy eyelid surgery

+3

Hi AndreasF

Surgery is about it.  First things first, make you have get an evaluation with an experience Oculoplastic surgeon before you do anything.  If there is a complete absence of muscle activity or it's too weak a straight forward ptosis repair may not do it for you.  The total cash cost for that is $3,000 in my office but it varies.  You may find that, if it is severe enough to effect vision, insurance may cover it.  Healing is about a week.  Hopefully this video would be helpful to you.  

Best of luck

Chase Lay MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options available for congenital ptosis

+1

Hang in there, there is hope.  And you are asking all the right questions.  Unfortunately, today, surgery is the only way to correct a situation like yours, called congenital ptosis. Costs vary depending on your specific circumstances. Talk with your parents to see if they are open to taking you to see a board certified oculoplastic surgeon for a consultation (which should include digital imaging, so you'll get to see what you will look like after the surgery).  There is a cost for the consult, so try not to be bummed if your folks need to wait to take you.   After the consult, the surgeon will be able to describe options and the best surgical plan with you and your parents. I know at your age it must seem like everything revolves around getting your eye fixed.  Try to remember you are an amazing person even if you never get it fixed.  Because I'm sure you are.  Keep me posted please.  And good luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Droopy eyelid

+1

Droopy eyelid is caused by the lengthening of the muscle(Levator) that causes the opening of the eyelid. It can usually be easily corrected by shortening this muscle. This does require surgery but this can be done usually under a local anesthetic as an outpatient.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Droopy eyelids can be repaired with surgery

+1

Droopy eyelids can be repaired with surgery. How the muscle is functioning will indicate the type of procedure needed which will determine the cost involved.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Congenital ptosis

+1

You have congenital ptosis. There are various surgical techniques available, depending on the function of your eyelid (including anterior ptosis surgery, posterior ptosis surgery, and frontalis sling).  The cost varies depending on which technique is needed and on the location of the surgery.  Performing the surgery under local anesthesia would considerably cut down on the fees (rather than performing in a surgery center with anesthesiologist).  Make sure you see an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droop

+1

Follow-up with a Board Certified Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon to improve the appearance and function of your left eyelids!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Droopy eyelid in young person

+1

Droopy eyelids can be repaired in many ways depending on how much movement the eyelid has and other causes.  An oculoplastic surgeon can help you determine which surgery is best.  This would very likely be covered by insurance.  The only other alternative would be a large special contact lens to raise eyelid, but this doesn't work for many.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

The first thing you should do is get an evaluation by an Oculoplastic surgeon.  There are several ways to correct ptosis, and this will make a difference in the price.  Furthermore, your surgery may be performed either in the office or in an operating room under anesthesia.  Depending on which of these you are best suited for, the price will vary.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy eye fix

+1

Its not your fault it is an inborn problem you inherited. It is called occular ptosis and you should seek a plastic or ophthalmic surgeon to correct it. The fee in my area is around $5000.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Post photos

+1

Photos would give us a little better idea of your anatomy. Your eyelid ptosis [droopy eyelid] likely had NOTHING to do with your covering your eye when you were younger.

It was probably a congenital [developmental] problem. There are many different techniques to address a droopy eyelid and an in person consultation is the best way to decide which way to go.

On average, the total cost of eyelid surgery for one eyelid is in the $2000-2500 range, but it may be lower or higher depending on what part of the country you live in. But if your eyelid is droopy enough, it might be affecting your vision. If that is the case, your insurance may cover the cost of surgery.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon