Just Booked Surgery for Saline Implants, but Worried I Should Go for Silicone. Opinion?

I am 22 yrs old and 5'4" 110 lbs. I have a very small frame. I feel safer going with saline implants because of the bad rep silicone used to have. Although my surgeon suggests silicone implants and assures me of their safety, I still feel anxious/scared about them. Many of my friends have gone with the silicone gel but I really don't think I can go through with it. Is this a big mistake? will they look rediculous!? I'm petrified to go through with the surgery and hate the results.

Silicone or saline, find your comfort zone

+2

Both the saline and silicone gel breast implants are used in breast augmentation and though some say the gel is 'better', we still use many saline implants and feel you would not make a mistake with a saline implant. A submuscular saline has minimal ripples, stays soft, goes in through a very small incision, looks as great as gel, and lasts as long or longer than gel, needs no MRI tests, is easier to replace, and as you are young at some point you will need a replacement. Both are good, so stay in your comfort zone.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Silicone Implants Are Preferable

+2

I recommend silicone implants to all of my patients although many still opt for saline (usually because of the cost differential).  I definitely think silicone gives more natural results than saline and are less likely to demonstrate rippling.  The FDA would not have allowed the silicone implants to return to the augmentation market if they had any significant safety concerns.  They were allowed in those intervening years to be used in breast reconstruction patients and were not noted to cause any of the problems for which they accused in the early 90's.

Saline or Silicone?

+2

You will likely have a nice result with either saline or silicone.  I agree that there may be more advantages with silicone, however if you would feel more comfortable with saline than I would proceed as planned.  Your peace of mind is important regardless of scientific evidence supporting the safety of silicone.  You are young and most likely be having your implants changed when they deflate someday.  You may want to reconsider silicone at that time.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Saline or Silicone?

+2

You are very petite and your breasts have slight asymmetry and they are laterally displaced. Creating the pocket more centrally and settling on a smaller implant is your best option. There are some advantages of silicone over saline(and vice versa) but if you are concerned about silicone, then go with saline implants. Good luck.

Allentown Plastic Surgeon

+2

Regarding: "22 yrs old and 5'4" 110 lbs. I have a very small frame. I feel safer going with saline implants because of the bad rep silicone used to have. Although my surgeon suggests silicone implants and assures me of their safety, I still feel anxious/scared about them. Many of my friends have gone with the silicone gel but I really don't think I can go through with it. Is this a big mistake? will they look rediculous!? I'm petrified to go through with the surgery and hate the results."

Like almost everything in life, although we need to aim for perfection, it is rarely achievable. (Look at most marriages, our Government etc). You starting point are relatively small breasts (which cannot cover the ripples and folds of saline implants as well as those of silicone filled implants) and your breast appear to not only be of different sizes but appear to be located both at different heights and different locations (one is more to the side than the other). That suggests that as these breasts are made larger, their "off" locations will not be changed and these locations / asymmetry may be more obvious.

As some of my colleagues will tell you silicone filled implants feel more natural, are slightly lighter and ripple less while saline implants are cheaper, can be filled to different volumes but ripple more and are heavier.

You need to decide WHICH of these qualities are more important to you. Do not be scared - get educated. I think you should meet your Plastic surgeon another time and have your questions answered. The vast majority of my Plastic surgery colleagues like their patients to be fully educated and informed of their options. TALK to your surgeon. Don't be afraid.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Saline or Silicone?

+2

Both saline and silicone implants are good options as long as they are properly sized for you.  There are advantages and disadvantages to each of them which I'm sure your plastic surgeon discussed with you so there isn't really one that is much better than the other.  The best implant for you is the one you are comfortable with after you have reviewed the options.  

Web reference: http://www.drhamawy.com/breast/augmentation-westchester-ny/

Saline vs silicone gel breast augmentation

+2

Both saline and silicone implants can give great looking results as long as the right implant is chosen for your frame and starting point and desires. The main difference is that in slender patients with minimal breast tissue, when they lean forward the lower outer edge of the implant can be rippled or wrinkled. You are slender enough that this might bother you.  If so, consider the gel.  If not, and if saline feels safer to you, go forward as planned.

Saline or silicone implants?

+1

In general, silicone gel implants do provide a better aesthetic results (from a visual and feel standpoint) for patients who lack soft tissue coverage. Based on your picture, it appears that you have a small frame associated with minimal soft tissue/adipose tissue coverage. From this standpoint, you will likely have a better long-term results with silicone gel implants, in my opinion.

On the other hand, peace of mind is an important consideration. If you have anxiety associated with the use of silicone gel implants then it is best to not have them placed. If you are able to alleviate anxiety by studying the FDA websites and research studies regarding the use of silicone gel implants  you may be more comfortable with the use of the silicone gel implants.

If you need more time to make a well-informed decision you should consider postponing surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastaugmentation.htm

Breast implant anxiety

+1

From what you say, you are not comfortable with gel implants and I am sure you have discussed the pros and cons of each type. Do what makes you feel best and do not listen to your friends. If you have more questions, ask your surgeon.

Saline vs gels

+1

Dear BriG,

Tough question but best issue to resolve pre op.  There is no perfect implant.  The appearance of appropriate size and dimension implants (salines or gels) is virtually indistinguishable visually.  However the "feel" is different.  The question to answer is the increased probability of rippling and crinkling feel of the saline implant going to annoy you?  I might recommend that you talk with your Plastic Surgeon more before proceeding.  This should be an awesome experience not agonizing.  The good news is that you can get good results with both.  Good luck.

Tyler Plastic Surgeon