Booked for Lipo N 29, Flying 3hours Home Next Day, What Can I Do to Reduce Risks Involved?

What can I do to reduce risks involved in flying within 12 hour after lipo 3 hour flight? Thanks

How Safe is Flying 12 hours after having Liposuction?

+2

Regarding: "Booked for Lipo N 29, Flying 3hours Home Next Day, What Can I Do to Reduce Risks Involved?
"

Aside from the discomfort of sitting in an airplane seat 12 hours after having liposuction there are other more ominous considerations. Foremost is the likelihood of BLOOD CLOTS (DVT) and their movement to the lungs (PE) which could be fatal. Your likelihood to develop blood clots in your deep veins depends on the duration and magnitude of the procedure, pre-existing personal (obesity, smoking, various mutations, taking certain medications) or family history.

Personally, I would advise you NOT to take this risk. BUT - if you are absolutely intent on doing so, you will need to constantly hydrate and walk about the cabin to reduce the likelihood of clot formation and even discuss with your surgeon the possibility of using blood thinning agents.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Traveling 24 hours after liposuction

+1

AS you can see, flying 24 hours after liposuction is not necessarily advisable. If you plan on doing this, adequate compression wear is essential and avoiding heavy lifting of baggage is very important. Minimizing periods of immobilization is also important to decrease the risk of DVT.

Flying after surgery

+1

I would not recommend flying immediately after surgery. If you do not live in the area of your treating physician, I would plan to stay in the community for a few days after surgery to  make sure everything is okay first before flying home.

Don't fly after liposuction

+1

What can you do to reduce your risks after liposuction? the answer is don't fly. This is an elective procedure and you shouldn't increase your risk of having a complication. Spend a few days recovering before you fly. I am not familiar with Lipo n 29, and if this is to indicate a special procedure, then there is not enough information to answer your question. The surgeon doing the surgery should be discussing your risks and advising you if it is safe to fly, but I would say no.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction: Is it safe to fly after the surgery

+1

To reduce your risks I would recommend to have the surgery close to your home.  Otherwise flying the next day after surgery is not a good idea and I would not recommend it.  As a surgeon, I would like my patients to stay in town for the first week atleast depending on the procedure and 2 weeks for some of the more major procedures.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Not a good idea

+1

More information about the amount of liposuction and area would help. if you are going to have one area of liposuction and less than 500 c.c of fat removed, it be OK. In general it is not a good idea to fly post surgery because of the dehydration,DVT and risk of complication.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Advise on flying after liposuction

+1

One of the more onerous side effects of traditional liposuction is DVT (deep venous thrombosis) also known as "blood clots".  This occurs if your body is very still and muscle action is low ( for example:  going under anesthesia, or sitting in a car or plane for long periods of time).  To decrease your risk, avoid estrogens and birth control pills for one month prior to the procedure (since estrogens increase the risk of blood clots).  Choose modern liposuction where you are not asleep ( true tumescent liposuction which is done completely with local anesthesia).   Stay normally active after the procedure- avoid lying in bed "recuperating".  It is important to keep your blood moving, so on the plane, get up and walk around every hour.  If you cannot get out of your seat then tap your toes to squeeze your calf muscles every hour.  Wearing compression stockings may also be a good idea.  Good luck!

Julie E. Voss, MD
Kirkland Dermatologic Surgeon