Am I Having Booby Greed?

I had my BA 3 weeks ago. I am 5 ft 4 125 pounds, petite athletic build. I went with 350 cc mentor HP silicone, and at the office I felt these looked nice and full, but still natural. My fathers wife had her BA 5 yrs ago (375 cc saline) and told me I should really go bigger. 375 or 400. When I tried in these sizes I thought they were too much for my frame. I was barely an a cup before, and wanted a nice full C, now I feel like I should have gone bigger. Will they fill out more when they drop?

Picking implant size

+2

Dear Betty.  Don't worry about what other people think.  You'll never please everyone.  If you're happy with the appearance and they look natural, leave them alone.  Over the past 20 years, I have noticed that women  who get 350cc implants or smaller tend to have less long-term problems such as drooping and a lower chance of needing a redo surgery.  It sounds like you did the right thing. 

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

350 cc : Should I Go Bigger?

+1

If you are going to go bigger, I would not have another surgery to increase by 25 or 50 cc.  You should go at least 100 or 150 cc bigger. 

No matter what size you choose, there will always be some second guessing

+1

Remind yourself that you didn't want to go to big and that larger implants can cause more stretch to your tissues over time.  You sound like you thought about it a lot before surgery - try not to second guess your decision now.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Booby greed and breast augmentation

+1

This is a very common thing.  Most patients look great on the table.  They wake up and the implants elevate.  They eventually drop and the swelling goes away.  Sometimes the patient will say that they like them, and there was lots of improvement, but they liked them when they were swollen.  Sometimes they second guess themselves after talking with girlfriends.  In your case, (hard without photos), it sounds like a reasonable choice.  Think about the risk/reward.  Usually to go back for 25cc is not worth it.  You are also very early in the post operative course.  Relax, let them settle, and speak with your plastic surgeon.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Size Matters

+1

They will not fill out more.  Size change is the most common cause of reoperation.  I don not know if they will drop or even need to drop without a picture.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

"Boob greed" and breast implant size choice

+1

Hi, Betty,

A few thoughts:

1) As some of my colleagues have said, it's very early. Better to wait until everything settles and see how things feel to you.

2) In my experience, it's fairly common for women to later wish their implants had been bigger in an ideal world. In the early phase, there's a bit of a "rollercoaster" with women changing their opinion as to whether they've chosen well over the first few months. Size choice, of course, is not only about eventual volume but naturalness, making the implant size and shape suit the person's phsyique and balancing increased cup size with potential long-term issues like rippling with larger implants.

3) Whilst I can't be specific in your case, if you have a petite, athletic build and started with relatively little tissue then 350 seems a very reasonable size.

4) Lastly, patients often fret over a size difference of 25 or 30g (or cc) in size choice but it's worth bearing in mind that this is a small difference. Changing from a 350 to a 375 cc implant is not a significant size change (less than 10%).

In short, let everything settle and see how you feel. I'd be surprised if your choice isn't perfectly sensible for your frame.

Stephen Hamilton, MD, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

"Booby greed" a cautionary tale

+1

I think that you have selected the right implant size for your frame. In my opinion, the best result for breast augmentation  is one that leaves people guessing whether or not you have had work done. In my practice, my average implant size is 325 cc, and this is in line with what other plastic surgeons are doing across the county. Research has shown the negative long term effects with very large implants i.e. distortions of breast anatomy, sagging, and thinning of breast tissue. You can rest easy with your choice.

Mytien Goldberg, MD

Booby Greed after Breast Augmentation?

+1

As you know, given that you are only three weeks out of your breast augmentation surgery, it is much too early to evaluate the end results of the procedure. Although I cannot give you precise advice, some general thoughts may be helpful to you. In my experience, it is not uncommon for patients to feel that they are “too small” immediately after surgery but then be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure when the breast implants have had a chance to fully settle ( “drop and fluff”).  This process may take several months to occur.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you continue to exercise patience and continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

"Booby greed" is the norm after breast augmentation.

+1

In my practice when asked a year after breast augmentation about 90% of the women wish they had gone a bit bigger.

Implant size

+1

Without seeing a photo, I cannot tell if your implants are high riding or not. If they are, the appearance will change as they "drop" as they will indeed fill out the lower pole of the breasts. Thanks for your question, best wishes. Allow about six months for the implants to settle.