Boney Feel on One Side of my Nasal Bridge

I had a rhinoplasty 10 weeks ago and I am now started to see and feel a long slanted bony feel on the right side of my nose only (left on picture) it's kind of visible on the picture. What can it be? Is revision a possibility? Also I think I want a alar base reduction after a lot of cartilage was removed from my tip. Does that leave scars? Thank you!

Prominent Nasal Bone

+2

Your nasal bone is positioned laterally, causing a prominence of the lower border of that bone. The nasal bone can be moved, but wait another 6-9 months. You have nostril flaring, which is the round contour of the lateral wall of your nostrils. This can be corrected with inconpsicuous incisions at the base of your nostrils. Do both procedures at the same time.

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

It can quite often take several months for bones to remodel following any surgery. A revision may be required but it would be best to wait at least a year if not 2 prior to considering revision surgery

Contour Issues Following Rhinoplasty

+1

From the photo provided it looks like you are referring to your right nasal bone. One can see this type of contour issue following rhinoplasty where the bridge was reduced and the nasal bone was not brought inward sufficiently. You can also see this as a result of the upper lateral cartilage segment dropping down following surgery. Either way, this is something that most rhinoplasty surgeons would recommend leaving alone for now. You are quite early overall in the healing process. I would recommend waiting 10-12 months before considering a revision rhinoplasty to address residual issues with your nose.

Regarding your nostrils, it is possible to narrow them using what are called base incisions. The most common incision is made at the junction of your nostril and your cheek. In other cases, the incision is made between the nostril base and the columella. This is called a sill incision. Still in other cases, a combination of these incisions is used to narrow the bottom of the nose.

Best of luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prominent Nasal Bone After Rhinoplasty

+1

Despite the fact that it has been 10 weeks since your procedure, you are still very early in the recovery process.  We routinely wait a full year before "finally" assessing the results.  However, you are showing some imbalance between the middle of the nose (where there is only cartilage) and the bone.  It can be a result of the bones being wider or the cartilage being more narrow - sometimes a combination of both.  Having no pre-op photo and the fact that you are smiling in the photo it makes it more difficult to give an answer.  I would discuss this with your surgeon and adding an alar base reduction is possible with the ultimate goal of a balanced nasal shape.

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Slanted Right Nasal Bone

+1

Hi,

What your looking at is your right nasal bone. It could be that the bone was not brought in enough or the upper lateral cartilage has collapsed in. Narrowing your nostrils would require an incision in the intranasal sill ( the skin between your nostril and your columella.

Best.

Dr. S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS